Understanding the Disappearance of Light: A Physics Newbie's Question Answered

• Thread starter strmrkt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of light and water when entering a dark room. The summary explains that the light is absorbed by the air, floor, and walls, while the water eventually dissipates and is absorbed into the room's substance. The conversation also mentions the concept of energy and how it is transferred and absorbed in different materials.
strmrkt
Hi, I am new to physics, so this might be a stupid question.

Imagine a pitch black room. If you open the door and shoot water into the room and then close the door, the water will still be in the room.

If you do the same thing, but this time with light instead of water. How come the light disappear from the room when you close the door? Why isn't the photons caught in the room?

Science news on Phys.org
The light hits the wall and get absorbed by the wall.

strmrkt said:
Hi, I am new to physics, so this might be a stupid question.

Imagine a pitch black room. If you open the door and shoot water into the room and then close the door, the water will still be in the room.
Not forever! Eventually it will be absorbed into the air, floor and walls.

If you do the same thing, but this time with light instead of water. How come the light disappear from the room when you close the door? Why isn't the photons caught in the room?
They are absorbed into the air, floor, and walls, like the water, just much faster.

More specifically, when photons encounter matter, they tend to get absorbed, transferring their energy and heating up the matter. So, once the door is closed, the room will be slighter warmer than before. That's where the photons have gone.

Interesting thread, "This space for rent" I love that. Good play on words.

I observed a falling star and it appeared seemingly from no where into a long streek and then disapeared. Knowing that this light had traveled a milenia of years to reach my eye and, in this case, that light has a beginning and an end. Or at the very lease saw it end. All of that energy that I saw distiguised was absorbed or as you say the matter around it absorbed it along its way, the energy would be disapated in all directions from its' source. Or am I way off in space, that is rentable, here? :)

Robin07 said:
Interesting thread, "This space for rent" I love that. Good play on words.

I observed a falling star and it appeared seemingly from no where into a long streek and then disapeared. Knowing that this light had traveled a milenia of years to reach my eye and, in this case, that light has a beginning and an end. Or at the very lease saw it end. All of that energy that I saw distiguised was absorbed or as you say the matter around it absorbed it along its way, the energy would be disapated in all directions from its' source. Or am I way off in space, that is rentable, here? :)

No, the light that reaches your eyes is emitted a tiny fraction of a second before it hits your eyes.

"a falling star" is actually a meteorite that hits the Earth's atmosphere and burns up - only a few hundred km from where you are looking. The short burst of light is only generated a few milliseconds before it reaches you.

The difference between the light entering a room and water, sprayed from a hose, is that the light is just energy and the water is matter. However, the Kinetic Energy (motion) that the water has when sprayed into the room soon dissipates itself and the water will come to a halt so, in both cases, energy soon dies down and is absorbed into the substance of the room (even is the walls don't actually 'absorb' the water).

Related to Understanding the Disappearance of Light: A Physics Newbie's Question Answered

1. Why does light disappear when it enters water?

Light disappears when it enters water because it is refracted, or bent, by the change in density between air and water. This can make the light appear to change direction or even disappear from our view.

2. Why does light disappear in a vacuum?

In a vacuum, light does not actually disappear, but it appears to because there are no particles for it to interact with. Light needs particles to reflect off of or be absorbed by in order for us to see it. In a vacuum, there are no particles, so the light appears to disappear.

3. Why does light disappear when it is blocked by an object?

Light disappears when it is blocked by an object because the object is absorbing or reflecting the light, preventing it from reaching our eyes. This is why shadows are created when an object blocks light - the light cannot pass through the object, so it appears to disappear.

4. Why does light disappear at the end of a tunnel?

When light travels through a tunnel, it is constantly interacting with the walls and surfaces of the tunnel, causing it to be absorbed or reflected in different directions. As the light travels further into the tunnel, it becomes more scattered and eventually appears to disappear because it is no longer reaching our eyes in a concentrated beam.

5. Why does light disappear when it is absorbed by a black object?

Black objects appear to absorb light because they are actually absorbing most of the light that hits them. The color black is created when an object absorbs all of the visible light spectrum. This means that the light is not being reflected back to our eyes, so the object appears to be dark and the light appears to disappear.