Understanding the Direction of Acceleration in SHM: Mathematically Explained

In summary, the book is right that the acceleration is always directed towards the positive x-axis, but it changes the semantics of the word "direction" so that it means just the slope of the line, not the direction of movement.
koliko987
Mathematically, in SHM,why is x'' (acceleration) always in the direction if x increasing? So if he have a simple setup, an elastic spring on a smooth horizontal table, one end attached to a fixed point, the other to a particle. Let's say the fixed point is at the left end of the spring. If we take right as positive and we pull the particle to the right, stretching the spring, the tension acts to the left and hence the acceleration must be acting in the same direction, from Newton's 2nd law, OPPOSITE to the direction of x increasing since that's to the right. But my book and other resources I found say "acceleration is always in the direction of x increasing." So what does that mean?
I mean if I just see the shm equation it does make sense that acceleration/force has a different sign to the displacement and acts to restore the particle to equilibrium and if we look at the graphs, acc graph is 180 degrees out of phase to the displacement graph so surely this means they always act in opposite direction? Why does my book keep insisting acc is always in the direction of positive x (that's what x increasing means, right?).
I'm rally getting frustrated and any help is hugely appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well you are right that acc and displacement are 180 degrees out of phase.Not sure what your book is trying to say but seems wrong to state that acceleration is always in the direction of x increasing. This is true during two quarters of the harmonic circle, but during the other twp quarters acceleration is in the opposite direction of x increasing.

Delta² said:
Well you are right that acc and displacement are 180 degrees out of phase.Not sure what your book is trying to say but seems wrong to state that acceleration is always in the direction of x increasing. This is true during two quarters of the harmonic circle, but during the other twp quarters acceleration is in the opposite direction of x increasing.
It was brought to my attention that physical acc might not be the same as mathematical acc and mathematical acc is really the second derivative of x with respect to time, and the book is saying x˝ (not acc) is in direction x increasing, so I don't know if that makes a difference. And as far as the "physical" acceleration is concerned I mean it definitely changes direction depending on which side of the equilibrium point the particle is so surely it would be wrong to say that acc is in the same anyone direction during whole of oscillations. However, the book is adamant about " x˝ always in the direction of x increasing ", it mentions it 5 or 6 times and the book is highly regarded in UK so I doubt it's wrong.

Acc is the same Acc, wherever you come across it. (How could it be otherwise if the Maths is used to model the reality?)

koliko987 said:
why is x'' (acceleration) always in the direction if x increasing?
It looks as if you have this backwards. The acceleration (Force) is in the opposite direction as the sign of the displacement for SHM.

You will have to quote which book you refer to. You may be 'selecting' a particular passage which is confusing you. The basic equation of motion is clear enough and the book will certainly have got that right so it must be your interpretation of the wording in the book, if the wording seems to contradict the Maths.

sophiecentaur said:
Acc is the same Acc, wherever you come across it. (How could it be otherwise if the Maths is used to model the reality?)It looks as if you have this backwards. The acceleration (Force) is in the opposite direction as the sign of the displacement for SHM.

You will have to quote which book you refer to. You may be 'selecting' a particular passage which is confusing you. The basic equation of motion is clear enough and the book will certainly have got that right so it must be your interpretation of the wording in the book, if the wording seems to contradict the Maths.

qVXFi10.jpg

I attached a picture of two pages in the book:

The left pic is explaining the theory generally and the right is an example of proving SHM with a spring on a smooth horizontal table. They both have notes in yellow boxes saying x'' is in the direction of increasing x. Do you have an idea of what the book is trying to say? Thanks

Book is right that the acceleration is always directed towards O. But then on the next statement (x'' is always in the direction of increasing x) i think it changes the semantics of the word "direction" and it means just the slope of the line, sorry my english fail me here, but in greek we use different words when we want to say "direction" or "towards to" but in english the word is the same.

koliko987 said:
qVXFi10.jpg

I attached a picture of two pages in the book:

The left pic is explaining the theory generally and the right is an example of proving SHM with a spring on a smooth horizontal table. They both have notes in yellow boxes saying x'' is in the direction of increasing x. Do you have an idea of what the book is trying to say? Thanks
That phrase reads like complete gobbledegook. The Mathematical expression just beside it is, of course, correct. I guess the author had something in his head that suggested those words might help. They clearly don't. If in doubt about things like this, you should always stick with the Maths and look at another reference to check there is no error (equation layout / signs / etc.)
PS I wonder if he means that the acceleration acts 'along the line of x'.
It's a mystery - but you understand it so no harm done! :smile:

Related to Understanding the Direction of Acceleration in SHM: Mathematically Explained

What is the direction of acceleration in simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

The direction of acceleration in SHM is always directed towards the equilibrium point, or the center of the motion. This means that the acceleration is always directed in the opposite direction of the displacement from the equilibrium point.

Does the direction of acceleration change in SHM?

Yes, the direction of acceleration in SHM is constantly changing as the object moves back and forth between the equilibrium point and the maximum displacement points. This is why SHM is considered to be an oscillatory motion.

How is the direction of acceleration related to the displacement in SHM?

The direction of acceleration in SHM is directly related to the displacement of the object from the equilibrium point. As the displacement increases, the direction of acceleration changes in the opposite direction, and vice versa.

Is the direction of acceleration always perpendicular to the direction of velocity in SHM?

No, the direction of acceleration is not always perpendicular to the direction of velocity in SHM. This only occurs at the maximum displacement points, when the velocity is momentarily zero and the acceleration is at its maximum.

How does the direction of acceleration affect the period of SHM?

The direction of acceleration does not directly affect the period of SHM. The period is only influenced by the amplitude and the mass of the object. However, the direction of acceleration does play a role in determining the shape of the SHM graph, which can indirectly affect the period.