Understanding the Difference Between Signal Power and Signal Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between energy and power in relation to signals and the use of these measurements. While energy refers to the total amount of electricity used by a signal, power is a more useful measurement as it indicates the rate of energy consumption per second. This is demonstrated through the example of resistive speakers.
Jncik
Hi, I have trouble understanding these concepts

http://cnx.org/content/m10055/latest/

if I understand is correctly, the energy is basically a number telling us how "big" a signal is

while the power, is used for signals that don't decay, thus give us a infinite amount of energy, but still we need to find a measurement for how "big" these signals are and hence we use the concept of "signal power"

is this correct? I'm not really sure about it 100%

also what's the point of these measurements?

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jncik said:
if I understand is correctly, the energy is basically a number telling us how "big" a signal is

I'm not sure this is a good way to put it. How "big" a signal is should correspond more closely to the signal amplitude, not the energy.

Maybe an example would help. Imagine a pair of purely resistive speakers that got turned on at t1 and turned off at t2. The signal is the current that we measure through the speakers, and energy would be proportional to the total amount of electricity that the speaker used.

However, energy might not be very useful. Obviously if I leave the speaker on for a longer time, it's going to use more energy, even if I'm just playing the same song over and over again. Power is the electricity used per second, and indicates how powerful the speakers are.

thanks that made it clear to me ;)

Related to Understanding the Difference Between Signal Power and Signal Energy

1. What is the difference between signal power and signal energy?

Signal power refers to the amount of electrical energy that a signal carries, while signal energy refers to the total amount of energy contained in a signal over a specific period of time.

2. Which one is more important in signal processing, power or energy?

It depends on the specific application and the type of signal being processed. In some cases, power may be more relevant, while in others, energy may be a more important factor.

3. How are signal power and signal energy related?

Signal power is the rate at which energy is transmitted, so it is directly proportional to signal energy. In other words, the higher the signal power, the more energy is contained in the signal.

4. Can a signal have high power but low energy?

Yes, it is possible for a signal to have high power but low energy if the duration of the signal is short. This means that although the signal carries a lot of energy per unit time, the overall energy contained in the signal is low.

5. How do signal power and signal energy affect the quality of a signal?

Generally, a higher signal power and energy result in a better quality signal. This is because a higher power and energy mean that the signal is stronger and has a higher amplitude, which can help reduce noise and improve the signal-to-noise ratio.