Understanding the Difference Between Energy and Power in Flywheel Calculations

In summary: Watts per second" would be the power output of a generator over a period of time (e.g. 5 seconds). "Watts" is a unit of power.In summary, the flywheel has a radius of 38mm, weighs 112.34g and has a angular speed of 89,011 rad/s. The flywheel has a moment of inertia of 0.5*m*r2 and generates 321 Joule of kinetic energy.
CognitiveNet
I've got a flywheel spinning at 850RPM. It weighs 112,34g and has a radius of 38mm.
I want to calculate the Kinetic energy (Ek) it has given in Wh (watt per hour).Angular speed: ω = n*2pi()/60 = 850*2pi()/60 = 89,011 rad/s
Moment of inertia: I = 0,5*m*r2 = 0,5*0,11234Kg*0,038m^2 = 0,00008110948 Kg*m^2
Kinetic energy: Ek = 0,5*I* ω^2 = 0,5*0,00008110948 Kg*m^2*(89,011 rad/s)^2 = 0,321 Joule = 0,321 Ws = 0,321/3600 = 8,916*10^-5.

Is this calculation correct?

I don't understand how this can be possible. Because it can generate at least 300 milliwatt of power. So I expect the kinetic energy in Wh would be directly connected to how much power it outputs in watt. But that's also confusing... if a generator is generating 300 milliwatt... (5 volt and 60 milliamps), it is generating this per hour?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean Watt times hour, as "Watt per hour" is not a unit of energy.

Is this calculation correct?
If you write an "=", both sides should be equal.
I did not check the numbers (WolframAlpha can do this, for example), the ansatz is correct.

Because it can generate at least 300 milliwatt of power.
But not for long. To could generate 300mW electric power for one hour (!), it would need at least 0.3 Wh kinetic energy.

So I expect the kinetic energy in Wh would be directly connected to how much power it outputs in watt.
No. Energy is power multiplied by time.

Yes, your calculation looks right (didn't actually punch it into a calculator), but the issue appears to be regarding an understanding of units:

1. Wh is not watts per hour, it is watt-hours. There is no such unit as "watts per hour". So a watt-hour is the energy generated using a power of one watt, for an hour. So:

2. Yes, the power output in miliwatts and the energy in watt-hours are related...by how long it generates power. The flywheel you're using is about the size of a yo-yo, which can spin-up or spin-down in less than a second, with a small flick of the wrist. So while your flywheel can be made to generate a few hundred miliwatts, it can only do it for a few seconds -- certainly not for an hour.

[edit: d'oh, too slow]

russ_watters said:
Yes, your calculation looks right (didn't actually punch it into a calculator), but the issue appears to be regarding an understanding of units:

1. Wh is not watts per hour, it is watt-hours. There is no such unit as "watts per hour". So a watt-hour is the energy generated using a power of one watt, for an hour. So:

2. Yes, the power output in miliwatts and the energy in watt-hours are related...by how long it generates power. The flywheel you're using is about the size of a yo-yo, which can spin-up or spin-down in less than a second, with a small flick of the wrist. So while your flywheel can be made to generate a few hundred miliwatts, it can only do it for a few seconds -- certainly not for an hour.

[edit: d'oh, too slow]

It can't run for an hour? You're right, it can run for a few hours before the heat source is depleted. It's a thermodynamic generator. It has a constant speed.
There is no such thing as watts per hour? You just said wh is the energy generated using a watt for an hour. Exacly, a watt for an hour = watt per hour. per hour = an hour.

It's not the size of a yo-yo. It is 72mm wide. That's about the size of one and a half aluminum cola bottle. I just don't get it, how the numbers in joule, can be that low... when the energy output is closer to 400 milliwatt. And not 400 milliwatt*second.

So do you mind to explain: When I measure the voltage and current, and multiply them together, is that the power I get per hour? If so, that should be 0,4W*3600s=1440Ws?
So the mechanical calculations don't make sense...

CognitiveNet said:
It can't run for an hour? You're right, it can run for a few hours before the heat source is depleted. It's a thermodynamic generator.

If the generator running at constant speed and is powered from a heat source, the flywheel isn't producing any power at all, on average. It might be gaining and losing some kinetic energy during each revolution, if your heat engine doesn't produce a constant power output over the whole revolution. That's what flywheels are meant to do.

Your calculation says that if you suddenly removed the heat source, the generator would stop in about 1 second, which seems guite reasonable to me.

CognitiveNet said:
Exacly, a watt for an hour = watt per hour. per hour = an hour.

No, they're not the same in English. "per" in units always implies division. "watt per hour" would be a rate of change of power. For example, if a motor delivers 100 watts of power at time 1:00, then speeds up gradually so it delivers 300 watts at time 1:30, then we would say its power increases at the (average) rate of 200 watts / 0.5 hour = 400 watts per hour (watts/hour).

On the other hand, if it runs at a steady rate of 100 watts for a half hour, then it delivers (100 watts)(0.5 hour) = 50 watt-hour of energy.

jtbell said:
No, they're not the same in English. "per" in units always implies division. "watt per hour" would be a rate of change of power. For example, if a motor delivers 100 watts of power at time 1:00, then speeds up gradually so it delivers 300 watts at time 1:30, then we would say its power increases at the (average) rate of 200 watts / 0.5 hour = 400 watts per hour (watts/hour).

On the other hand, if it runs at a steady rate of 100 watts for a half hour, then it delivers (100 watts)(0.5 hour) = 50 watt-hour of energy.

So if it runs at a steady rate of 300 milliwats for one hour, then it delivers 300 milliwatts for one hour? Maybe that sounded silly. But if I've calculated that it outputs 300 milliwat second, and the output is always steady... it will deliver 300 milliwatt of power, after generating power for one hour? So if I've got an electronic device rated 300 mW, the 0,3 Ws is actually sufficient, because it's constantly 0,3Ws?

I'm sorry for this, mess. But it appears it is a matter of a language problem for me.

Are you perhaps confused about the difference between "energy" and "power"?

To make an analogy, compare a motor to a gun that fires bullets. The energy produced by the motor (measured in joules, or watt-seconds, or watt-hours, or horsepower-hours) during a certain period of time is analogous to the total number of bullets fired by the gun during that period of time. The power produced by the motor (measured in watts or horsepower) is analogous to the rate at which the gun fires bullets: bullets/second (bullets per second) or bullets/hour (bullets per hour) or something similar. We can talk about the instantaneous power (or rate at which the gun fires bullets) at a certain point of time. We cannot talk about the energy or number of bullets "at" a certain point in time, although we can talk about the energy or total number of bullets during a certain period of time.

jtbell said:
Are you perhaps confused about the difference between "energy" and "power"?

To make an analogy, compare a motor to a gun that fires bullets. The energy produced by the motor (measured in joules, or watt-seconds, or watt-hours, or horsepower-hours) during a certain period of time is analogous to the total number of bullets fired by the gun during that period of time. The power produced by the motor (measured in watts or horsepower) is analogous to the rate at which the gun fires bullets: bullets/second (bullets per second) or bullets/hour (bullets per hour) or something similar. We can talk about the instantaneous power (or rate at which the gun fires bullets) at a certain point of time. We cannot talk about the energy or number of bullets "at" a certain point in time, although we can talk about the energy or total number of bullets during a certain period of time.

I think I understand what you mean. And yes, the difference between energy and power IS confusing. Thank you so much for your time. Sincerely.

Related to Understanding the Difference Between Energy and Power in Flywheel Calculations

1. What is a flywheel and how does it work?

A flywheel is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy and helps to regulate the speed of a rotating system. It typically consists of a heavy wheel or disk that is mounted on an axle and is able to rotate freely. When a force is applied to the flywheel, it accelerates and stores kinetic energy. This energy can then be released to perform useful work when needed.

2. How is power generated by a flywheel?

Power is generated by a flywheel through the principle of conservation of energy. When a force is applied to the flywheel, it accelerates and stores kinetic energy. This energy can then be converted into electrical energy through a generator attached to the flywheel. The rate at which the flywheel releases this energy determines the power output.

3. What are the advantages of using flywheel energy storage?

Flywheel energy storage has several advantages over traditional battery storage. One major advantage is its ability to charge and discharge quickly, making it ideal for applications where rapid bursts of power are needed. It also has a longer lifespan and requires less maintenance compared to batteries. Additionally, flywheel systems are more environmentally friendly as they do not contain toxic materials like batteries do.

4. What are the limitations of flywheel energy storage?

One limitation of flywheel energy storage is that it is not suitable for long-term energy storage. Unlike batteries, which can store energy for extended periods of time, flywheels are limited by their rotational speed and will eventually slow down and lose energy. They also have a lower energy density compared to batteries, meaning they can store less energy per unit mass.

5. In what industries is flywheel energy storage commonly used?

Flywheel energy storage is commonly used in industries that require high-power, short-duration energy storage. This includes applications such as backup power for data centers, uninterruptible power supplies, and electric vehicles. It is also being explored for use in renewable energy systems, where it can help to smooth out fluctuations in energy generation from sources like wind and solar power.