Understanding the Curl Theorem: Examples and Explanation

In summary, the curl theorem states that if a vector field F is defined on all points in R^3 and has continuous partial derivatives, and its curl is equal to 0, then F is a conservative vector field. "Defined on all R^3" means that F is defined at every point in R^3, including the origin (0,0,0). "Continuous partial derivatives" means that the component functions of F have derivatives that are continuous at every point in R^3. An example of a vector field that satisfies these criteria is <0, x^2, y>. However, if the curl of a vector field is not equal to 0, then it is not conservative. In the given example, the
kliang1234
Hi, this is a very simple question about the curl theorem. It says in my book:

" If F is a vector field defined on all R3 whose component functions have continuous partial derivatives and curl F = 0 , then F is a conservative vector field"

I might sound stupid, but what exactly does "defined on all R3" and "continuous partial derivatives" mean? Can you also provide examples?

I tried to apply it to a problem:

If Curl <0, z/(z^2 + y^2) , -y/(z^2+y^2) > = 0 , is the vector field conservative?

The answer is no. Can anyone explain why its not conservative.
It is continuously differentiable, and curl F = 0. To me, it appears to satisfy the criteria of the theorem.

Please help, i have a midterm tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Defined on all R^3 means that it is defined on all points of R^3, in particular it is defined in the origin of a coordinate system on R^3, namely in the point (0,0,0) and moreover, it must have continuous partial derivatives at any point of R^3, particularly in (0,0,0).

Question: Is your vector defined all over R^3 ?

I see. The vector is not R3 because its not defined at the origin because of the j and k components. Correct?

It's not defined in the origin, indeed. Its domain is simply [itex] R^3 -\{(0,0,0)\} [/itex], so it doesn't fulfil the definition you had there.

dextercioby, you are god.
thank you so much

Related to Understanding the Curl Theorem: Examples and Explanation

What is the definition of curl?

The curl of a vector field measures the rotation or "circulation" of the field at a given point. It is a vector quantity that represents the tendency of the field to rotate around that point.

How is the curl of a vector field calculated?

The curl of a vector field is calculated using a mathematical formula involving partial derivatives. Specifically, it is the cross product of the gradient operator and the original vector field.

What does a positive or negative curl indicate?

A positive curl indicates a counterclockwise rotation, while a negative curl indicates a clockwise rotation. This is because the direction of the curl vector is perpendicular to the direction of rotation.

What is the physical significance of the curl?

The curl has many physical applications, such as in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and weather forecasting. It helps us understand the circulation and movement of fluids and fields in the real world.

How does the curl relate to the divergence of a vector field?

The curl and divergence are two important concepts in vector calculus. The curl measures the rotation of a vector field, while the divergence measures the expansion or contraction of a vector field. These two concepts are related through the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the curl of the gradient of a scalar field is equal to the zero vector.