Understanding the Cost Function in Machine Learning: A Practical Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses a loss function in the context of a neural network. The loss function is L=wE, where E=(G-Gest)^2 and G=F'F. The derivative of the loss function with respect to F is proportional to F'(G-Gest). The conversation includes a question about the notation and dependencies of the functions, and clarifications are made regarding the use of time (t) and the transpose function ('). The conversation ends with a request for further help and a link to a paper explaining the problem in more detail.
emmasaunders12
Could someone please help me work through the differentiation in a paper (not homework), I am having trouble finding out how they came up with their cost function.

The loss function is L=wE, where E=(G-Gest)^2 and G=F'F

The derivative of the loss function wrt F is proportional to F'(G-Gest)

Can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks

Emma

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have some trouble to understand you:

Do all functions depend on, say time ##t##, which the primes refer to? And why isn't ##G-G=0##? I first thought it could be the strange notation of a function, but then you defined a single ##G##. And last, could it be ##L \propto F(G-G)'##?

fresh_42 said:
I have some trouble to understand you:

Do all functions depend on, say time ##t##, which the primes refer to? And why isn't ##G-G=0##? I first thought it could be the strange notation of a function, but then you defined a single ##G##. And last, could it be ##L \propto F(G-G)'##?

Thanks for the response, its the loss function of a neural network, so I've corrected to G and Gest, primes refer to transpose

emmasaunders12 said:
Thanks for the response, its the loss function of a neural network, so I've corrected to G and Gest, primes refer to transpose
Perhaps someone else can help, but without a lot more context I have no idea what mathematically we are dealing with here.

PeroK said:
Perhaps someone else can help, but without a lot more context I have no idea what mathematically we are dealing with here.

The specific problem is described on page 4 here https://arxiv.org/pdf/1505.07376v3.pdf

Related to Understanding the Cost Function in Machine Learning: A Practical Guide

1. What is the purpose of a differentiation cost function?

The purpose of a differentiation cost function is to measure the cost or error associated with the predictions made by a machine learning model. It helps to quantify how well the model is performing and provides guidance for adjusting the model's parameters to improve its accuracy.

2. How is a differentiation cost function calculated?

The differentiation cost function is calculated by taking the difference between the predicted values of a model and the actual values, and then squaring the result to eliminate negative values. This process is repeated for all data points and the average is taken to get the overall cost or error.

3. What are the different types of differentiation cost functions?

The most commonly used differentiation cost functions are Mean Squared Error (MSE), Mean Absolute Error (MAE), and Root Mean Squared Error (RMSE). MSE is the squared difference between predicted and actual values, MAE is the absolute difference, and RMSE is the square root of MSE.

4. How does a differentiation cost function affect the training of a model?

A differentiation cost function helps to guide the training of a model by providing a measure of the model's performance. During the training process, the model's parameters are adjusted to minimize the cost function, thus reducing the error and improving the model's accuracy.

5. What are some common issues with differentiation cost functions?

One common issue with differentiation cost functions is overfitting, where the model performs well on the training data but poorly on new data. Another issue is underfitting, where the model is not complex enough to capture the patterns in the data. Additionally, the choice of cost function can also greatly impact the performance of a model.