Understanding the Conversion Formula for Venturimeter Readings

• Thread starter ujjwal kapil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubt
In summary, the conversation was about solving numerical problems involving a venturimeter and a formula for converting differential manometer readings from mercury to water. The participants discussed drawing a U-tube manometer and deriving the pressure differential equation. However, there was a discrepancy in the solution provided, which was addressed by considering the presence of water in the equation. The conversation ended with a reminder to keep the solution in algebra form.
ujjwal kapil
Hi all

I was trying to solve some numerical problems on venturimeter. I got stuck due to a formula, that I was not able to make sense of. It is a conversion of reading of differential manometer in mercury to corresponding reading in water. I've attached the question, please help me understand it.

Attachments

• rsz_untitled.jpg
    rsz_untitled.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ujjwal kapil. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Draw a U-tube manometer showing a difference in mercury levels. Now, add water above both surfaces of mercury, and show pressures of P1 and P2 acting on that water.

Apply your ρgh formula, etc., and derive the pressure differential P2 - P1 in terms of the other quantities present. Write your working here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found an answer, but not in accordance with the solution.
20cm of Hg= 272cm of H2O, but it is given as 252 in the solution.

Attachments

• mano.jpg
    mano.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 425
Keep it simple, draw a symmetrical U-tube.

You overlooked the water! On one side you have P1 and a column of h metres of H2O balanced on the other side by P2 and a column of h metres of Hg.

So try this again. Keep it as algebra, don't substitute numbers. We're aiming towards that expression you circled, remember?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about venturimeter calculations. I understand that you are having trouble understanding a formula related to converting readings from a differential manometer in mercury to water.

First, it is important to understand the purpose of a venturimeter. It is a device used to measure the flow rate of a fluid, typically in a pipe or a channel. The differential manometer is used to measure the pressure difference between two points in the venturimeter, which is then used to calculate the flow rate.

Now, to address your question about the conversion of readings from mercury to water. This is necessary because the density of mercury and water are different, therefore the pressure readings will also be different. The formula for converting the readings is based on the principle of hydrostatics, which states that the pressure at a certain depth in a fluid is directly proportional to the density of the fluid.

I would recommend reviewing the principles of hydrostatics and practicing some sample problems to better understand the conversion formula. You can also consult your textbook or reach out to your instructor for further clarification.

I hope this helps to clear up your doubts. Keep practicing and asking questions, and you will soon master the calculations for venturimeter. Best of luck!

Related to Understanding the Conversion Formula for Venturimeter Readings

1. What is a Venturimeter?

A Venturimeter is a type of flow meter used to measure the flow rate of fluids in pipes. It works on the principle of Bernoulli's equation, which states that the pressure of a fluid decreases as its velocity increases. The device consists of a constricted section in a pipe, where the fluid's velocity increases, and pressure taps before and after the constriction. By measuring the pressure difference, the flow rate can be calculated.

2. How does a Venturimeter work?

A Venturimeter works by utilizing the principle of Bernoulli's equation. As the fluid passes through the constricted section of the pipe, its velocity increases, and the pressure decreases. This pressure difference is measured using pressure taps located before and after the constriction. By knowing the pressure difference, the flow rate can be calculated using the Venturi equation.

3. What are the advantages of using a Venturimeter?

There are several advantages of using a Venturimeter. It has a simple design, is easy to install, and has no moving parts, making it low maintenance. It is also highly accurate and can measure both low and high flow rates. Additionally, it does not obstruct the flow of the fluid and is not affected by changes in fluid temperature or viscosity.

4. What are some common applications of Venturimeters?

Venturimeters have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are commonly used in water supply systems, chemical processing plants, and oil and gas industries. They are also used in aircraft and automobile engines to measure air flow. In addition, Venturimeters are used in medical devices to monitor the flow of gases and liquids in the body.

5. How accurate is a Venturimeter in measuring flow rate?

A Venturimeter is a highly accurate flow meter, with an accuracy of up to 98%. The accuracy can vary depending on the design and conditions of the specific Venturimeter. However, compared to other flow meters, such as orifice meters or turbine meters, Venturimeters are known for their high accuracy and reliability.