Understanding the concept of the effects on an orbit

In summary, an orbit is the curved path that an object takes around a larger object due to the force of gravity. Gravity is what keeps an object in orbit and factors such as mass, distance, and velocity can affect an orbit. Changing the velocity of an object can also change its orbit. Over time, an orbit can change due to various factors, requiring adjustments to maintain the desired path.
aerogurl2
I am having trouble understanding the concept of the effects on an orbit. The question asks if we replaced the sun with a rock of the same mass, would Earth's orbit change? I think it doesn't because orbits don't change because of its orbital energy. but I'm not sure because i wonder if the kinetic and gravitational energy would change and thus affect the orbit?

Physics news on Phys.org
What effect keeps the Earth in orbit?

i thought orbital energy keeps it in orbit

Wrong. A force keeps it in orbit. Not an energy. Which force?

Related to Understanding the concept of the effects on an orbit

1. What is an orbit?

An orbit is the curved path that an object takes around a larger object due to the force of gravity. In space, this can refer to the path of a planet around a star, or a moon around a planet.

2. How does gravity affect an orbit?

Gravity is what keeps an object in orbit around another object. The larger object's gravity pulls the smaller object towards it, but the smaller object's velocity keeps it moving in a circular or elliptical path around the larger object.

3. What factors can affect an orbit?

The factors that can affect an orbit include the mass of the objects involved, their distance from each other, and their velocity. Other factors such as atmospheric drag and other external forces can also have an impact.

4. How does changing the velocity of an object affect its orbit?

If the velocity of an object in orbit is increased, it will move into a higher orbit. If the velocity is decreased, it will move into a lower orbit. This is because the speed and direction of an object's orbit are directly related to its velocity.

5. Can an orbit change over time?

Yes, an orbit can change over time due to various factors such as the gravitational pull of other objects, atmospheric drag, and external forces. This is why spacecraft and satellites often need to make adjustments to their orbits to maintain their desired path.