Understanding the Chain Rule and Product Rule in Multivariable Calculus

In summary, the author found that if z=f(x,y) has continuos second-order partial derivates and x=r^2+s^2 and y=2rs find \frac{d^2z}{dr^2}.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
I got one exempel that I don't get same result as my book.
Exempel: If \(\displaystyle z=f(x,y)\) has continuos second-order partial derivates and \(\displaystyle x=r^2+s^2\) and \(\displaystyle y=2rs\) find \(\displaystyle \frac{d^2z}{dr^2}\)
So what I did before checking soulotion:
\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2z}{dr^2}=\frac{dz}{dr} \frac{d}{dr}\)
So I start with solving \(\displaystyle \frac{dz}{dr}=\frac{dz}{dx}\frac{dx}{dr}+\frac{dz}{dy}\frac{dy}{dr} = \frac{dz}{dx}(2r)+\frac{dz}{dy}(2s)\)
so now we got \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dr}(\frac{dz}{dx}(2r)+\frac{dz}{dy}(2s))\) and that is equal to \(\displaystyle 2r\frac{d}{dr}\frac{dz}{dx}+2s\frac{d}{dr}\frac{dz}{dy}\)
my book soloution:
\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2z}{dr^2}= \frac{d}{dr}(\frac{dz}{dx}(2r)+\frac{dz}{dy}(2s))\) and they equal that to \(\displaystyle 2\frac{dz}{dx}+2r\frac{d}{dr}(\frac{dz}{dx})+2s \frac{d}{dr}(\frac{dz}{dy})\)
my question is where do they get that extra \(\displaystyle 2\frac{dz}{dx}\) (I suspect it was a accident) and my last question why do they got parantes on \(\displaystyle (\frac{dz}{dx})\) and \(\displaystyle (\frac{dz}{dy})\)
then they solve \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dr} (\frac{dz}{dx})\) and \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dr}(\frac{dz}{dx})\)
why do they do that and how do they do it? unfortently I have to run so I can't post fully soloution, will post it later.

Regards,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: chain rule and product rule

Petrus said:
so now we got \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dr}(\frac{dz}{dx}(2r)+\frac{dz}{dy}(2s))\) and that is equal to \(\displaystyle 2r\frac{d}{dr}\frac{dz}{dx}+2s\frac{d}{dr}\frac{dz}{dy}\)

here you have a mistake \(\displaystyle 2r \) can't be taken out , it is not constant .

use product rule

Last edited:

ZaidAlyafey said:
here you have a mistake \(\displaystyle 2r \) can't be taken out , it is not constant .
ignore thanks zaid

ZaidAlyafey said:

use product rule
I got one question. How do we know for sure that our function z got variable r in it? May sound stupid but I would like to know? Is it because we can rewrite x and y?

Petrus said:
I got one question. How do we know for sure that our function z got variable r in it? May sound stupid but I would like to know? Is it because we can rewrite x and y?

We can't make sure , but it depends on r because both x and y depends on the value of r and s.

I don't understand this part
\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dr}(\frac{dz}{dx})=\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{dz}{dx})\frac{dx}{dr}+(\frac{d}{dy}(\frac{dz}{dx}) \frac{dy}{dr}=\frac{d^z}{dz^2}(2r)+\frac{d^2z}{dydx}(2s)\)
they do same with \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dr}( \frac{dz}{dy})\) and I don't understand it, what does it means to take \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dr}(\frac{dz}{dx})\)

Regards,

We know that :

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dr}(z) = \frac{dz}{dx}\cdot \frac{dx}{dr}+\frac{dz}{dy}\cdot \frac{dy}{dr}\)

but we want to find here \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dr} \left( \frac{dz}{dx}\right)\)

so what do we do using the chain rule ?

Here is a hint

substitute \(\displaystyle \frac{dz}{dx}\) instead of each \(\displaystyle z\)

ZaidAlyafey said:
Here is a hint

substitute \(\displaystyle \frac{dz}{dx}\) instead of each \(\displaystyle z\)
that made it more clear, I was like thinking and thinking and then when I read your hint it made clear! I was never thinking about that!
\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dr}(z) = \frac{dz}{dx}\cdot \frac{dx}{dr}+\frac{dz}{dy}\cdot \frac{dy}{dr} <=> \frac{d}{dr}\frac{dz}{dx}=\frac{d(\frac{dz}{dx})}{dx}\frac{dx}{dr}+ \frac{d( \frac{dz}{dx})}{dy}\frac{dy}{dr} <=> \frac{d}{dr}\frac{dz}{dx}=\frac{\frac{d^2z}{dx}}{dx}\frac{dx}{dr}+ \frac{ \frac{d^2z}{dx}}{dy}\frac{dy}{dr} \) and now we can use the rule \(\displaystyle \frac{ \frac{a}{b}}{\frac{c}{d}} = \frac{ad}{bc}\) to make it easy to see I always add an /1 in evry term in bottom exempel \(\displaystyle dx= \frac{dx}{1}\)(I somehow screw it when I try it with latex :S) so we got \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dr}\frac{dz}{dx}=\frac{d^2z}{(dx)^2}\frac{dx}{dr}+ \frac{d^2z}{dxdy}\frac{dy}{dr} <=>\frac{d}{dr}\frac{dz}{dx}= \frac{d}{dx}\frac{dz}{dx}\frac{dx}{dr}+\frac{d}{dx}\frac{dz}{dy}\frac{dy}{dr}\)

(Huh was a challange to do this on \(\displaystyle \LaTeX\) but worked well:D)

Last edited:
Petrus said:
\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dr}(z) = \frac{dz}{dx}\cdot \frac{dx}{dr}+\frac{dz}{dy}\cdot \frac{dy}{dr} <=> \frac{d}{dr}\frac{dz}{dx}=\frac{d(\frac{dz}{dz})}{dx}\frac{dx}{dr}+ \frac{d( \frac{dz}{dx})}{dy}\frac{dy}{dr} \)

You have some mistakes , how did you get \(\displaystyle \frac{dz}{dz}\)?

ZaidAlyafey said:
You have some mistakes , how did you get \(\displaystyle \frac{dz}{dz}\)?
Typo... I am working with edit it... got confused:S

Thanks Zaid:) I finish edit it and now I understand what my book did :) Unfortently I could not figoure it out by myself but now I learned it! Thanks for taking your time(Smile)(Yes)

You have some wrong notations

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{dz}{dx}\right)\)

what is that equal to ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
You have some wrong notations

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{dz}{dx}\right)\)

what is that equal to ?
\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2z}{(dx)^2}\)

Petrus said:
\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2z}{(dx)^2}\)

This is the second derivative of z with respect to x , it isn't usual multiplication !

ZaidAlyafey said:
This is the second derivative of z with respect to x , it isn't usual multiplication !
I always have write it as that :s but I think in my brain that it means second derivate but that is obvious wrong... \(\displaystyle \frac{d^2z}{dx^2}\)

Petrus said:
I always have write it as that :s but I think in my brain that it means second derivate but that is obvious wrong... \(\displaystyle \frac{d^2z}{dx^2}\)

The most important thing that you understand , it is not a matter of notations it is a matter of comprehending the concept behind , best luck .

Related to Understanding the Chain Rule and Product Rule in Multivariable Calculus

1. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do you apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you first need to identify the outer function and the inner function in the composite function. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. This gives you the derivative of the composite function.

3. What is the product rule?

The product rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a product of two functions. It states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

4. How do you use the product rule?

To use the product rule, you first need to identify the two functions that are being multiplied together. Then, you take the derivative of the first function and multiply it by the second function. Next, you add this to the derivative of the second function multiplied by the first function. This gives you the derivative of the product of the two functions.

5. What is the difference between the chain rule and the product rule?

The chain rule is used for finding the derivative of a composite function, while the product rule is used for finding the derivative of a product of two functions. The chain rule involves multiplying derivatives, while the product rule involves adding derivatives. Essentially, the chain rule is used when dealing with nested functions, while the product rule is used when dealing with functions that are multiplied together.