Understanding the 3 coordinate systems for a Schwarzschild geometry

In summary, the conversation discusses the three main coordinate systems for a Schwarzschild geometry: Lemaitre-Rylov, Eddington-Finkelstein, and Kruskal-Szekeres. The speaker has read that KS coordinates are better than EF coordinates and that EF coordinates are better than LR coordinates, but does not understand why. The conversation also mentions that LR coordinates use timelike geodesics while EF and KS coordinates use null geodesics. The speaker is seeking clarification on these concepts.
JeffOCA
Hello,

There are 3 main coordinate systems for a Schwarzschild geometry : Lemaitre-Rylov (LR), Eddington-Finkelstein (EF), Kruskal-Szekeres (KS).

Thanks to my readings, I know thaht KS coordinates are better than EF coordinates and that EF coordinates are better than LR coordinates. But, I don't really understand why !

I have also read that LR coordinates use timelike geodesics (how can you see that ?) and that EF and KS coordinates use null (lightlike) geodesics (once again, how can you understand that ?)

Thanks for all your answers ...

Jeff
France

Physics news on Phys.org
Up !

I would not describe one coordinate system as "better" than another in general. Which coordinate system is best depends on the application.

Here is an arxiv paper on a generalized form of Schwarzschild coordinates which reduces in special cases to the above. I found it useful: http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0311038

Related to Understanding the 3 coordinate systems for a Schwarzschild geometry

1. What are the three coordinate systems used in Schwarzschild geometry?

The three coordinate systems used in Schwarzschild geometry are the Schwarzschild coordinates, the Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates, and the Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates.

2. What is the purpose of these coordinate systems?

These coordinate systems help to describe the geometry of a Schwarzschild spacetime and allow for easier calculations of physical quantities such as the curvature and energy of the spacetime.

3. How do the Schwarzschild coordinates differ from the Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates?

The Schwarzschild coordinates are based on the radial distance and time measurements from the singularity at the center, while the Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates are based on the advanced or retarded time measurements along with the radial distance.

4. What are the advantages of using the Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates?

The Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates have the advantage of covering the entire Schwarzschild spacetime, including both the exterior and interior regions, and allow for a better understanding of the structure of the black hole.

5. How do these coordinate systems relate to the concept of a black hole event horizon?

The event horizon, which marks the boundary of a black hole, can be described using all three coordinate systems. The Schwarzschild coordinates show the event horizon as a coordinate singularity, the Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates show it as a regular coordinate surface, and the Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates show it as a hyperbolic surface.