Understanding "Terrible" Math Notation: A Calculus Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's concerns about being marked down for incorrect notation in their calculus course. The student provides examples of where they were marked down and explains their understanding of the notation. They also mention that their instructor had shown a "proof" in the next class to explain why the notation was incorrect, but the student did not fully understand it. They express their worries about not being aware of other notation mistakes and ask if there is a resource for proper notation. Overall, it seems that the student's instructor may be overly critical of notation and the student is seeking clarification on what is considered "proper notation."
BillhB
Is there some standardized math text with "proper universal notation" I could read for calculus?

In one of my courses, $$\int\frac{dx}{x}$$ had a red mark through it, with a note that said "impossible" or something. I earned a zero on the question due to the above. In another instance $$\int(x^{-2}v)'dx$$ had a red-mark that said it was equal to zero and said terrible. In the same question ##v'=yy'## during a substitution had a mark that just said terrible. I got two points for the question, even though the answer matched others who had gotten full credit so I'm assuming I was just marked down for notation.

What's wrong with the above? Maybe this instructor just hates prime notation...

Physics news on Phys.org
I would ask your instructor about it. It may not be notation but perhaps Something more fundamental.

In the first, your teacher may not have liked you dividing the ##dx## by ##x## and would have preferred that you wrote ##(1/x) dx## instead. It doesn't make sense to divide ##dx##as it's not a value but a kind of placeholder that indicates what variable to integrate over.

In the second, I'd say the prime In the integral means that ##f(x)' dx## integrates to ##f(x)##. If that not what you meant then you can see your teachers concern.

Last edited:
Likes BillhB
BillhB said:
Is there some standardized math text with "proper universal notation" I could read for calculus?

In one of my courses, $$\int\frac{dx}{x}$$ had a red mark through it, with a note that said "impossible" or something.
What you show above is an indefinite integral. Was the integral that the instructor marked a definite integral?
BillhB said:
I earned a zero on the question due to the above. In another instance $$\int(x^{-2}v)'dx$$ had a red-mark that said it was equal to zero and said terrible.
Again, was the actual integral a definite integral?
BillhB said:
In the same question ##v'=yy'## during a substitution had a mark that just said terrible. I got two points for the question, even though the answer matched others who had gotten full credit so I'm assuming I was just marked down for notation.

What's wrong with the above? Maybe this instructor just hates prime notation...
What do v' and y' mean here? Prime notation doesn't show which variable the derivative is taken with respect to.

Likes BillhB
jedishrfu said:
In the first, your teacher may not have liked you dividing the dx by x and would have preferred that you wrote 1/x dx instead.
I don't think this is very likely. ##\int \frac{dx}{x}## is a wellknown integral that is often written this way.

Likes BillhB and jedishrfu
Mark44 said:
What you show above is an indefinite integral. Was the integral that the instructor marked a definite integral?
Again, was the actual integral a definite integral?

No. It was just a simple separable differential equation.. $$\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{x}$$ $$\int{dy}=\int \frac{dx}{x}$$ $$y=ln|x| + C$$

Mark44 said:
What do v' and y' mean here? Prime notation doesn't show which variable the derivative is taken with respect to.

It was just me writing out of a substitution for a Bernoulli Equation.. $$xy\frac{dy}{dx}+x^2-y^2=0$$ $$\frac{dy}{dx}-yx^{-1}=-xy^{-1}$$ so I had ##v=y^2##, ##v'=2yy'## so I guess v' would be ##\frac{dv}{dx}## and y' is ##\frac{dy}{dx}## then I multiplied, found integrating factor, and subbed out to get to $$\int(vx^{-2})'dx=\int\frac{-2dx}{x}$$ $$vx^{-2}=-2ln|x|+C$$

Mark44 said:
I don't think this is very likely. ##\int \frac{dx}{x}## is a wellknown integral that is often written this way.

Yeah, we've wrote it that way in earlier courses, no one seemed to mind. Physics professor always puts the differential in the expression... but she's a physics teacher, and probably doesn't care as much if it is wrong. The instructor was trying to show how it was wrong in the very next class, but I didn't really follow the "proof" that well.

Last edited:
BillhB said:
No. It was just a simple separable differential equation.. $$\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{x}$$ $$\int{dy}=\int \frac{dx}{x}$$ $$y=ln|x| + C$$
I don't see anything wrong with this, speaking as a former college math teacher of 18 years. I would ask the instructor why it was marked off.
BillhB said:
It was just me writing out of a substitution for a Bernoulli Equation.. $$xy\frac{dy}{dx}+x^2-y^2=0$$ $$\frac{dy}{dx}-yx^{-1}=xy^{-1}$$
You have a sign error in the 2nd equation.
BillhB said:
so I had ##v=y^2##, ##v'=2yy'## so I guess v' would be ##\frac{dv}{dx}## and y' is ##\frac{dy}{dx}## then I multiplied, found integrating factor, and subbed out to get to $$\int(vx^{-2})'dx=\int\frac{2dx}{x}$$ $$vx^{-2}=-2ln|x|+C$$
The instructor was trying to show how it was wrong in the very next class, but I didn't really follow the "proof" that well.

Likes BillhB
Mark44 said:
You have a sign error in the 2nd equation.

Whoops, fixed it.

Mark44 said:
I don't see anything wrong with this, speaking as a former college math teacher of 18 years. I would ask the instructor why it was marked off.

Okay, but he seemed adamant that it was "wrong" notation. Terrible, terrible notation, garbage notation notes give that kind of vibe. Just a bit worried, have an exam in that class soon. Most of my quiz scores are abysmal due to notation I guess. To be fair, some it's certainty because I made errors like the above, missing a sign..etc. The problems are long, so I'm working on being more careful. Was kind of hoping there was some kind of one stop shop for "proper notation."

What you have here -- ##\int(vx^{-2})'dx=\int\frac{2dx}{x}## isn't very good. An improvement would be ##\int d(vx^{-2})=\int\frac{2dx}{x}##

If your instructor is dinging you for ##\int \frac{dx} x##, s/he is being pedantic, IMO.

Likes BillhB
Mark44 said:
What you have here -- ##\int(vx^{-2})'dx=\int\frac{2dx}{x}## isn't very good. An improvement would be ##\int d(vx^{-2})=\int\frac{2dx}{x}##

Got it.

If your instructor is dinging you for ##\int \frac{dx} x##, s/he is being pedantic, IMO.

Just worried about what other notation 'mistakes' I'm not aware of.

Thanks though, appreciate all the comments and time you've spent replying.

For your first question I believe he was looking for [itex] \int \frac{dy}{dx}dx=\int \frac{dx}{x}[/itex]. Writing [itex]\int dy[/itex] should not be used, until you are taking a differential equations course.

Related to Understanding "Terrible" Math Notation: A Calculus Guide

1. What is the purpose of "Terrible" math notation in calculus?

The purpose of "Terrible" math notation in calculus is to make complex mathematical concepts easier to write and understand. It is a shorthand way of representing equations and expressions that would otherwise be long and difficult to read.

2. Why is it important to understand "Terrible" math notation in calculus?

Understanding "Terrible" math notation is important because it is commonly used in calculus and other branches of mathematics. Without a thorough understanding of this notation, it can be challenging to read and solve mathematical problems accurately.

3. How can I improve my understanding of "Terrible" math notation in calculus?

To improve your understanding of "Terrible" math notation in calculus, it is essential to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the most commonly used symbols and expressions. You can also seek help from experienced mathematicians or use online resources such as tutorials and practice problems.

4. Are there any tips for deciphering "Terrible" math notation in calculus?

One tip for deciphering "Terrible" math notation in calculus is to break down the notation into smaller, more manageable parts. Also, try to identify patterns and connections between different symbols and expressions. Additionally, practicing regularly can help you become more familiar with the notation.

5. Can "Terrible" math notation be changed or simplified?

Yes, "Terrible" math notation can be changed or simplified to make it easier to read and understand. However, it is important to note that these changes should not alter the meaning or accuracy of the notation. Also, simplifying notation is often a matter of personal preference and may vary among mathematicians.