Understanding Tensor Products: From Dyads to Triads and Beyond

• Thread starter Noxide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensors
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of tensors and their rank. The document being referenced, "An Introduction to Tensors for Students of Physics and Engineering," can be found at the given link. The speaker is having trouble understanding the paragraph on page 11 that discusses tensors of rank 2 and 3. They are familiar with dyad products of vectors, but are struggling with understanding the "n-ad" products of vectors that result in tensors of rank 3. The speaker is asking for examples of both triad and "n-ad" products to better understand the concept.
Noxide
I am reading the following document entitled: An Introduction to Tensors for Students of Physics and Engineering. This document can be found at the following link: http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/Numbers/Math/documents/Tensors_TM2002211716.pdf

Specifically, I am having trouble with page 11 on the paragraph right after the bolded and centered Tensors of Rank > 2.
This paragraph states that:Tensors of rank 2 result from dyad products of vectors. (This I have no problem with, as I am familiar with this type of vector multiplication, especially in R^3. Since it produces the familiar 3x3 matrix from the product of v(v^T), with v a 1x3 vector). However, I am having problems with the next sentence which reads: In an entirely analogous way, tensors of
rank 3 arise from triad products, UVW (U,V,W vectors), and tensors of rank n arise from “n-ad” products of
vectors, UVW...AB.

I would like to know how to compute a triad product resulting in a tensor of rank 3 from 3 given vectors (an example would be great as this document does not have any). Also, if it is no trouble an example of an "n-ad" product of vectors UVW...AB would be very much appreciated but only necessary if it follows a different pattern than that of a triad product.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I changed the initial post quite a bit and am bumping it in order to gain more views.

Related to Understanding Tensor Products: From Dyads to Triads and Beyond

1. What are tensors, dyads, and triads?

Tensors, dyads, and triads are mathematical objects that describe the relationship between vectors in a multi-dimensional space. They are used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities such as force, stress, and strain.

2. What is the difference between a tensor, dyad, and triad?

A tensor is a general term for an array of numbers that describe the relationship between vectors. A dyad is a special type of tensor that represents a two-dimensional relationship between two vectors. A triad is a type of dyad that represents a three-dimensional relationship between three vectors.

3. What are the applications of tensors, dyads, and triads?

Tensors, dyads, and triads are used in many areas of science and engineering, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. They are essential tools for understanding and modeling the behavior of physical systems.

4. How are tensors, dyads, and triads represented mathematically?

Tensors, dyads, and triads are typically represented using index notation, which uses subscripts and superscripts to indicate the components of the tensor. This notation allows for easy manipulation and calculation of tensor equations.

5. What are some real-life examples of tensors, dyads, and triads?

Some real-life examples of tensors, dyads, and triads include stress tensors in solid mechanics, the electromagnetic field tensor in electromagnetism, and the velocity gradient tensor in fluid dynamics. These mathematical objects are essential for accurately describing the behavior of physical systems in the real world.