Understanding tensor operators

In summary, the definition of a tensor operator is that it is an operator that transforms under an irreducible representation of a group. An example of a tensor operator realized in physics is the electric and magnetic multipole moments of a nucleus. The tensor force between two nucleons is also a tensor.
CAF123
Gold Member
The definition of tensor operator that I have is the following: 'A tensor operator is an operator that transforms under an irreducible representation of a group ##G##. Let ##\rho(g)## be a representation on the vector space under consideration then ##T_{m_c}^{c}## is a tensor operator in the irreducible representation ##c## if it transforms as follows: $$\rho(g) T_{m_c}^c \rho(g)^{\dagger} = (\rho_c(g))_{m_c m'_c} T_{m_c'}^c,$$ with summation over ##m_c'## implied.

Can someone give me an example of a tensor operator realized in physics and the motivation for such a definition?

Also, in that definition, what does it mean to say '...an operator that transforms under an irreducible representation of a group.'

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone give me an example of a tensor operator realized in physics and the motivation for such a definition?
Pretty much everything in physics is a tensor. Motivation is background independence.

Also, in that definition, what does it mean to say '...an operator that transforms under an irreducible representation of a group.'
A representation is a set of matrices, right? Tensor is a vector for that matrix. Tensor is a vector that the representation matrix operates on.

If you have some tensor and a transformation belonging to the group and its associated representation matrix, then the tensor under that transformation will be multiplied by that matrix.

CAF123 said:
The electric and magnetic multipole moments of a nucleus.

Also, the tensor force between two nucleons, a noncentral potential S12 that depends on the angles between the spin vectors of the two nucleons and the position vector connecting them.

Are ##\rho(g)## some arbritary representations? And is ##\rho_c(g)## the representation of the state ##j=c##, a matrix of dimension ##(2c+1) \times (2c+1)##?

The definition ##\rho(g) T_m^j \rho(g)^{\dagger} = (\rho_j (g))_{mm'} T_{m'}^j## may be rewritten in an infinitesimal form as $$[J_a, T_b^1] = i\epsilon_{abc} T_c^1\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,(1)$$ How is this derived? It looks similar to the generic Lie algebra but the elements of the commutator are not both generators, as far as I understand - one is a tensor operator, the other is a generator.

Edit: I derived an earlier result, that is $$e^{i\alpha_a J_a} T_k^1 e^{i\alpha_bJ_b} = T_k^1 + \epsilon_{alk} \alpha_a T_l^1$$ using (1). $$\rho(g) T_{m_c}^c \rho(g)^{\dagger} \equiv e^{i\alpha_a J_a} T_{m_c}^c e^{-i\alpha_b J_b} = e^{i\alpha_a J_a} T_{m_1}^1 e^{-i\alpha_b J_b},$$ where ##J_a## are the generators of some Lie algebra and ##T_{m_c}^c## is the tensor operator. The last equality follows from considering ##j=1## representation.

Linearise for infinitesimal rotations gives $$(1+ i\alpha_aJ_a) T_{m_1}^1 (1 - i \alpha_b J_b)$$ and then multiplying out $$T_{m_1}^1 + i(\alpha_aJ_aT_{m_1}^1 - \alpha_b T_{m_1}^1J_b)$$

I can get the result from here, but I explicitly used (1). Could someone explain why (1) is true?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Related to Understanding tensor operators

1. What are tensor operators?

Tensor operators are mathematical objects that represent transformations in a multi-dimensional space. They are used to describe the behavior and properties of physical systems, such as particles and fields, in quantum mechanics and other branches of physics.

2. How do tensor operators differ from scalars, vectors, and matrices?

Tensor operators are different from scalars, vectors, and matrices because they are defined in terms of multiple indices and can operate on multiple dimensions simultaneously. Scalars have no dimensions, vectors have one dimension, and matrices have two dimensions, while tensors can have any number of dimensions.

3. What are the applications of tensor operators?

Tensor operators have many applications in physics, including describing the properties of particles and fields, calculating the transition probabilities of quantum systems, and analyzing the behavior of materials under stress and strain. They are also used in engineering, computer science, and other fields to model and manipulate complex systems.

4. How are tensor operators represented mathematically?

Tensor operators are represented using index notation, which uses indices to denote the number of dimensions and the transformation properties of the tensor. In this notation, the position of the indices and their repeated use in equations determine the type and behavior of the tensor.

5. How can understanding tensor operators improve our understanding of the physical world?

Understanding tensor operators can provide a deeper understanding of the behavior and properties of physical systems in various fields of physics. It allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of complex systems and make more precise calculations and measurements. Additionally, the use of tensor operators can lead to the development of new theories and technologies in fields such as quantum mechanics and materials science.