Understanding Tensor Calculations: Exploring Equations 4.74 and 4.76

In summary: Since the basis vectors are non-zero and non-collinear, their squared magnitudes will always be positive. Therefore, the covariant basis matrix will always have positive eigenvalues, making it positive definite.I hope this explanation helps you understand why the covariant basis, when expressed as a matrix, is positive definite. Let me know if you have any further questions. In summary, I have provided a derivation for equation 4.76 from 4.74 and explained why the covariant basis, when expressed as a matrix, is positive definite. I hope this helps you with your understanding.
Kiwi1
Two questions have me a bit stumped.

I am given:
eqn 4.74 $J^{i}_{i'} J^{i'}_{j} =\delta^{i}_{j}$ and
eqn 4.76 $J^{i'}_{i} J^{i}_{j'} =\delta^{i'}_{j'}$

Problem 47:
Derive equation 4.76 from 4.74 by multiplying both sides by $J^j_{j'}$. I have gone in a bunch of circles but can't get there.Problem 62:
Explain why the covariant basis, interpreted as a matrix is positive definite.

I don't see how I can express the covariant basis as a matrix without first defining an ambient cartesian coordinate syste. A no-no. I wonder if the question is in error? The problem is in a section about the Covariant Metric Tensor and that can easily be expressed as a square matrix and shown to be positive definite.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I can definitely understand why these questions have you stumped. I will do my best to provide some guidance and explanation for both problems.

Problem 47:
To derive equation 4.76 from 4.74, we need to manipulate the given equations by using the properties of matrices. First, let's rewrite equation 4.74 as:

$J^{i}_{i'} J^{i'}_{j} =\delta^{i}_{j}$

Now, we can multiply both sides by $J^j_{j'}$:

$J^{i}_{i'} J^{i'}_{j} J^j_{j'} =\delta^{i}_{j} J^j_{j'}$

Using the associative property of matrix multiplication, we can rearrange the left side as:

$J^{i}_{i'} \left(J^{i'}_{j} J^j_{j'}\right) =\delta^{i}_{j} J^j_{j'}$

Now, we can substitute equation 4.76 into this expression:

$J^{i}_{i'} \left(\delta^{i'}_{j'}\right) =\delta^{i}_{j} J^j_{j'}$

Simplifying, we get:

$J^{i}_{j'} =\delta^{i}_{j} J^j_{j'}$

And finally, using the definition of the Kronecker delta, we arrive at equation 4.76:

$J^{i'}_{i} J^{i}_{j'} =\delta^{i'}_{j'}$

I hope this helps you understand the derivation process. It's important to remember that when working with matrices, we can use various properties to manipulate the equations and arrive at the desired result.

Problem 62:
The covariant basis can be interpreted as a matrix by expressing it in terms of the basis vectors in a given coordinate system. For example, in a Cartesian coordinate system, the covariant basis can be written as a matrix with the basis vectors as its columns. This matrix will be a square matrix, and each of its diagonal elements will be the squared magnitude of the corresponding basis vector.

To understand why this matrix is positive definite, we need to look at its eigenvalues. A positive definite matrix is defined as a matrix whose eigenvalues are all positive. In this case, the eigenvalues of the covariant basis matrix will be the squared

Related to Understanding Tensor Calculations: Exploring Equations 4.74 and 4.76

What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that is used to represent and manipulate multidimensional quantities, such as vectors and matrices. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe physical phenomena, such as forces and stresses.

What are simple tensor calculations?

Simple tensor calculations involve performing basic mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, on tensors. These calculations are used to analyze and solve problems in various fields, including mechanics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics.

What are the properties of tensors?

Tensors have several important properties, including covariance, contravariance, and transformation laws. Covariance means that the components of a tensor change in a specific way when the coordinate system is transformed. Contravariance means that the components of a tensor change in the opposite way when the coordinate system is transformed. Transformation laws dictate how the components of a tensor change when the coordinate system is rotated or translated.

What are some common types of tensors?

Some common types of tensors include scalars, which are single numbers, vectors, which are quantities with magnitude and direction, and matrices, which are arrays of numbers. Other types of tensors include higher-order tensors, such as tensors of rank 3 or higher, and special tensors, such as symmetric tensors, skew-symmetric tensors, and diagonal tensors.

How are tensors used in real-world applications?

Tensors are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including engineering, physics, computer graphics, and machine learning. They are particularly useful for modeling physical systems, such as fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and stress and strain in materials. Tensors are also used in data analysis and image processing, where they can be used to extract features and patterns from data.