Understanding temperature of a system of paramagnets

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of temperature in relation to a system of paramagnetic material with two spin states in an external magnetic field. It is stated that the maximal entropy occurs when the energy is not zero, resulting in an infinite temperature. The use of a thermometer to measure temperature is also discussed, with the understanding that it will show the temperature once it reaches thermal equilibrium with the system. The limitations of using a thermometer to measure temperature are also mentioned, and the question of how to empirically measure temperature in certain cases where a thermometer is not sufficient is raised.
hideelo
If we have some paramagnets with only two spins up or down in an external magnetic field, I understand that the entropy is maximal when the energy is 0, what I don't understand is how to think about its temperature. In some sense I know that at this preferred state the temperature is infinite, but what does that mean?

If I put a thermometer to it what will the thermometer read? I would guess (correct me if I'm wrong) nothing (or whatever its reading was before) since the paramagnet is at its preferred energy state and doesn't want to give or take any energy.

But then what does this tell me about temperature in general? In other words, what are the restrictions on the idea of "temperature is what you measure with a thermometer". More specifically, when will a thermometer NOT tell you the temperature of an object? What (if any) is the underlying similarity between all such cases where a thermometer does not tell you the temperature?

Finally, If a thermometer does not tell you the temperature in these cases, how do you empirically go and measure the temperature in these cases?

TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand all of your questions. First of all, your system is paramagnetic material in an external field with two angular momentum states?

Entropy is maximal when all the energy states are equally occupied. The energy of the system is not zero in this case and the temperature is infinite. Infinite temperature simply means that the system will give out heat to any thermally connected system with a finite temperature. In the ground state (zero energy) entropy is zero.

A thermometer should show the temperature of the system after reaching thermal equilibrium with it (assuming the thermometer still functions at this temperature). Usually a thermometer gives incorrect readings if it hasn't reached thermal equilibrium with the measured system, or is outside its operational range.

Related to Understanding temperature of a system of paramagnets

What is the definition of temperature in the context of a system of paramagnets?

Temperature can be defined as a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles within a system. In the context of a system of paramagnets, it is a measure of the average thermal energy of the paramagnetic particles.

How does temperature affect the magnetization of a system of paramagnets?

As temperature increases, the magnetization of a system of paramagnets decreases. This is due to the thermal energy causing the particles to move more randomly and disrupt the alignment of the spins of the paramagnetic particles.

What is the Curie temperature of a system of paramagnets?

The Curie temperature is the critical temperature at which a system of paramagnets transitions from a paramagnetic state to a ferromagnetic state. Above the Curie temperature, the system is in a paramagnetic state, while below it, the system is in a ferromagnetic state.

How is the Curie temperature affected by the strength of the magnetic field?

The Curie temperature of a system of paramagnets increases with an increase in the strength of the magnetic field. This is because a stronger magnetic field can overcome the thermal energy and align the spins of the paramagnetic particles, resulting in a higher Curie temperature.

What other factors can affect the temperature of a system of paramagnets?

Apart from the strength of the magnetic field, other factors that can affect the temperature of a system of paramagnets include the composition and size of the paramagnetic particles, the presence of impurities or defects, and the external pressure. These factors can influence the thermal energy and the alignment of the spins of the paramagnetic particles, ultimately affecting the temperature of the system.