Understanding TEM Calibration Patterns: NiOX vs SiGe Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between calibration patterns in TEM imaging for different materials, specifically NiOX and SiGe. The reason for the concentric ring pattern in NiOX is due to the scanning of the beam at different angles, while the spot pattern in SiGe comes from a single crystal orientation. The manual used for the experiment was not very helpful in explaining these differences. Additional resources were provided for further understanding.
Rapier
Ok, so we were doing TEM and at the end we were looking at calibration patterns and I'm preparing the presentation and I am writing the intro but I realized I'm not sure why the calibration pattern looks like concentric circles.

I believe it is because we are scanning the beam across the sample at different angles and this is causing the concentric ring pattern.

This is NiOX
Cal1.png

In this second one I'm not quite sure why we don't get concentric rings but just spots. I know that those spots are the locations of the molecules in our crystalline matrix, but I don't get why it's circles in the first and dots in the second. The manual that we used is rather unhelpful in explaining why. In a lot of cases the manual walked us through the steps but didn't really explain why we were doing what we were doing.

Please help!

This is SiGe
Cal2.png

The presentation is mostly done but I'm just tweaking and want to get the intro for this section done and I'm short on time. Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Rapier said:
Ok, so we were doing TEM and at the end we were looking at calibration patterns and I'm preparing the presentation and I am writing the intro but I realized I'm not sure why the calibration pattern looks like concentric circles.

I believe it is because we are scanning the beam across the sample at different angles and this is causing the concentric ring pattern.

This is NiOX View attachment 76194.

In this second one I'm not quite sure why we don't get concentric rings but just spots. I know that those spots are the locations of the molecules in our crystalline matrix, but I don't get why it's circles in the first and dots in the second. The manual that we used is rather unhelpful in explaining why. In a lot of cases the manual walked us through the steps but didn't really explain why we were doing what we were doing.

Please help!

This is SiGe View attachment 76195.

The presentation is mostly done but I'm just tweaking and want to get the intro for this section done and I'm short on time. Thanks! :)

"If the material is microcrystalline (or polycrystalline with different crystal orientations) or amorphous the diffraction pattern consists of a series of concentric rings rather than spots/discs." I believe the spot pattern comes from a single crystal orientation.

Here is a reasonable discussion - http://www.ammrf.org.au/myscope/tem/background/concepts/imagegeneration/diffractionimages.php

And - http://faraday.physics.utoronto.ca/IYearLab/elecdiff.pdf

Likes Rapier
Ah! Thank you! I spent about 45 minutes searching and was getting no where.

Related to Understanding TEM Calibration Patterns: NiOX vs SiGe Explained

1. What is TEM calibration and why is it important?

TEM (Transmission Electron Microscopy) calibration is a process used to calibrate the magnification and resolution of a TEM instrument. It is important because it ensures accurate and reliable measurements of the sample being studied.

2. What are NiOX and SiGe calibration patterns?

NiOX and SiGe are two different types of calibration patterns commonly used in TEM instruments. NiOX is a nickel oxide pattern, while SiGe is a silicon germanium pattern.

3. How do NiOX and SiGe patterns differ in TEM calibration?

NiOX patterns have a higher contrast and are better suited for higher magnification calibrations, while SiGe patterns have a lower contrast and are better for lower magnification calibrations.

4. Which calibration pattern should I use for my TEM instrument?

The choice between NiOX and SiGe patterns depends on the specific needs of your TEM instrument. If you need higher magnification, NiOX is recommended, while SiGe is better for lower magnifications.

5. Can I use other types of calibration patterns besides NiOX and SiGe?

Yes, there are other types of calibration patterns available, such as gold nanoparticles and thin carbon films. However, NiOX and SiGe are the most commonly used patterns due to their reliability and ease of use.