Understanding Tangent Vectors for Discs: Deciphering (1 -1 0)T

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of the axis tangent to a disk at point Q using the vector (1 -1 0)T. There is confusion about whether this vector is sufficient in representing the tangent axis and if parallel vectors can be used. However, it is clarified that the axis tangent and parallel tangent vector have the same meaning.
Leb

Homework Statement

I do not understand how the vector (1 -1 0)T represents the axis tangent to the disk at Q.

35ks6jr.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried thinking in terms of simple vector addition, but just got another vector in the radial direction...
I mean, (1 -1 0)T is parallel to a tangent vector to Q, is that sufficient ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Leb! :smile:
Leb said:
I do not understand how the vector (1 -1 0)T represents the axis tangent to the disk at Q.

Tried thinking in terms of simple vector addition, but just got another vector in the radial direction...
I mean, (1 -1 0)T is parallel to a tangent vector to Q, is that sufficient ?

I don't really understand what's worrying you. :confused:

don't "the axis tangent to the disk at Q" and "parallel to a tangent vector to Q" mean the same thing?

tiny-tim said:
Hi Leb! :smile:

I don't really understand what's worrying you. :confused:

don't "the axis tangent to the disk at Q" and "parallel to a tangent vector to Q" mean the same thing?

Hello tiny-tim!

Apparently I was a bit rusty with vectors and was not sure if we are free to translate to parallel vectors on top of each other, but thanks !

Related to Understanding Tangent Vectors for Discs: Deciphering (1 -1 0)T

1. What are principal axes for a disc?

Principal axes for a disc refer to the three mutually perpendicular lines that define the orientation and rotation of a disc. These axes are known as the principal axes of inertia and are used to describe the movement and stability of a rotating disc.

2. How are principal axes for a disc determined?

The principal axes for a disc are determined by calculating the moments of inertia along each axis. The axis with the largest moment of inertia is the disc's principal axis of rotation. The other two axes are perpendicular to this axis and are known as the principal axes of inertia.

3. What is the significance of principal axes for a disc?

Knowing the principal axes for a disc is important in understanding its movement and stability. The disc will rotate most easily around its principal axis of rotation and will be more resistant to rotation around the other two axes.

4. Can the principal axes for a disc change?

Yes, the principal axes for a disc can change if the disc's shape or mass distribution is altered. However, for a symmetrical disc with uniform mass distribution, the principal axes will remain constant.

5. How are principal axes for a disc used in real-world applications?

Principal axes for a disc are used in engineering and physics to analyze the movement and stability of rotating objects. They are also important in fields such as robotics and aviation, where understanding the principal axes of a disc-shaped object is crucial for designing and controlling its movement.