Understanding Support Types: Single vs Double Roller for Cantilever Structures

In summary, the difference between a double and single roller is that a double roller can accommodate more movement before it becomes a problem.
fonseh

Homework Statement

In i ) I was told that for the pinned support , we can assume to replace it with a roller , while for the cantilever , we can assume it to be supported by double roller .

For the cantilever , why we can't replace it with roller instead of double roller ? What 's the difference between double and single roller ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In iv ) I was told that we can use roller guide , so from the figure , it's single roller , right ? So , IMO , the ii) was wrong , for the cantilever , we should always use [/B]single roller

Attachments

• 544.jpg
    544.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 409
  • 545.jpg
    545.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
fonseh said:

Homework Statement

In i ) I was told that for the pinned support , we can assume to replace it with a roller , while for the cantilever , we can assume it to be supported by double roller .

For the cantilever , why we can't replace it with roller instead of double roller ? What 's the difference between double and single roller ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In iv ) I was told that we can use roller guide , so from the figure , it's single roller , right ? So , IMO , the ii) was wrong , for the cantilever , we should always use [/B]single roller
Took me a while, but I think I get it.
The question posed is what happens to the rest of the system if the point A is somehow displaced "vertically".
If A is only a pin, the beam can accommodate the displacement by rotating about A. So the effect is the same as if A were just a roller in the first place.
If the joint at A is a cantilever then the beam cannot rotate about it. So displacing A vertically is like the support at A being a double roller.

Likes fonseh
haruspex said:
Took me a while, but I think I get it.
The question posed is what happens to the rest of the system if the point A is somehow displaced "vertically".
If A is only a pin, the beam can accommodate the displacement by rotating about A. So the effect is the same as if A were just a roller in the first place.
If the joint at A is a cantilever then the beam cannot rotate about it. So displacing A vertically is like the support at A being a double roller.
Well , thanks for your explanation .But ,If A is only a pin, rotating about Av has the same effect as if A were just a roller in the first place?

Secondly , why placing a double roller at A will not allow rotation ?

fonseh said:
,If A is only a pin, rotating about Av has the same effect as if A were just a roller in the first place?
No. A roller is like a pin that can also slide in one direction.
The actual support at A is a pin. We are looking at the consequences of movement of that support in the vertical direction.
Pin + 1 dimensional movement = roller.
Similarly,
Fixed (cantilever) + 1 dimensional movement = double roller.
fonseh said:
why placing a double roller at A will not allow rotation ?
That's what a double roller does. Each roller is constrained to slide in a track. Rotation would tug one of them out of the track.

See if http://www.engr.uky.edu/~gebland/CE 382/CE 382 Four Slides per Page/L4 - Support Reactions.pdf helps.

Related to Understanding Support Types: Single vs Double Roller for Cantilever Structures

1. What is the difference between single and double roller support for cantilever structures?

The main difference between single and double roller support for cantilever structures is the number of points of contact between the structure and the support. Single roller support has only one point of contact, while double roller support has two points of contact. This affects the stability and the range of motion of the structure.

2. Which type of support is better for cantilever structures?

The type of support that is better for cantilever structures depends on the specific needs and requirements of the structure. Single roller support is better for structures that require limited movement, while double roller support is better for structures that need more flexibility and range of motion.

3. How do single and double roller support differ in terms of load capacity?

Single roller support has a lower load capacity compared to double roller support. This is because the weight of the structure is supported by only one point in single roller support, while it is divided between two points in double roller support. This makes double roller support more suitable for heavier structures.

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each support type?

The advantage of single roller support is its simplicity and stability, making it more cost-effective. However, it has limited range of motion and load capacity. On the other hand, double roller support offers more flexibility and higher load capacity, but it is more complex and expensive to implement.

5. How do I determine which support type is needed for my cantilever structure?

The support type needed for a cantilever structure depends on several factors such as the weight and size of the structure, the expected range of motion, and the budget. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to assess the specific needs of the structure and determine the most suitable support type.