Understanding Superconducting Energy Storage: Principles and Applications

In summary, Superconducting Energy Storage (SES) is a promising technology that utilizes superconducting materials to store and release large amounts of energy with high efficiency. The principles of SES are based on the phenomenon of zero electrical resistance, which occurs when materials are cooled to extremely low temperatures. This allows for the storage and transportation of energy without significant losses. SES has various applications, including in power grids, renewable energy systems, and electric vehicles, and has the potential to greatly improve energy storage and distribution capabilities. Further research and development of SES technology could lead to significant advancements in the field of energy storage and contribute to a more sustainable and reliable energy future.
Mr 4738
Hi all! It's my first post. :cool:

How is electrical energy sent into a superconducting loop for storage and taken out for use? Is there power loss during these actions?

Peace!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

I believe it's usually done via Lenz's Law, and inducing a current via a changing magnetic field. This process wouldn't be 100% efficient, nor would doing the opposite to extract energy. Also, you've got to cool a big superconducting magnet such that it remains superconducting!

Take a read through this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=324113

Also: Electric Energy Storage at Superconducting Temperatures?:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=308338

See the following site for superconducting magnetic energy storage (SMES):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_magnetic_energy_storage
People have been discussing storage of megawatt-hours in very large superconducting coils, either solenoid or toroid. The energy is stored as very high magnetic fields. The total energy stored is (1/2) L I2, where L is the inductance and I is the current. To put more current in, apply a voltage to the coil, and more current flows in. Specifically V = L dI/dt. where dI/dt is the rate of current increase. If you short the two superconducting coil ends together, the current will persist in the coil, like in MRI machines. If ou attach a load, like a resistor to the coil terminals, the equation becomes I/R = -L dI/dt, so current flows out. It requires a lot of cooling to keep the superconducting coil cold, and heat leaks are a big problem. Also mechanical stresses to keep the coils from moving are very high.

Awesome! So, I don't know much about electrical engineering but it's super duper fun.

Hey, Bob S are there any good books or online recources where I can learn about the terms and equations you put down a little better? I'm a visual person too so anything with pics will be good. Thanks!

AND..

Let's say there are two SMES in a room. Each has its own energy stored at the moment. The two SMES are connected together so each can send their energy to the other in an infinite loop.

Now, at the sections that connect these two SMES's are EM's. Everytime the SMES's exchange energy they turn on the EM's for a time.

If you stick a permanent magnet (rotor) in between the two EM's (stator) could this produce an efficient motor? This goes back to my origional question of SMES storage and transfer efficiency.

There are at least proof-of-concept superconducting motors in existence. The windings are superconducting, reducing ohmic losses, and I believe that superconductors also have lowered sliding friction (for things like bearings and collars).
http://www.physorg.com/news99220532.html

A company that, at least, does research into them:
http://www.amsc.com/products/motorsgenerators/faq.html

Last edited by a moderator:
That's right.. I read about the bearings (frictionless because they float I think) and I've checked out the AMSC site once or twice. I should look into how AMSC's motors/generators work some more.

Mr 4738 said:
Hey, Bob S are there any good books or online recources where I can learn about the terms and equations you put down a little better? I'm a visual person too so anything with pics will be good. Thanks!QUOTE]
I would suggest any sophmore college level physics book on practical electricity and magnetism. I don't recommend a book like Jackson (too much theory and math), but a book that emphasises applications. In addition to the engineering approach [= 1/2 LI2] you need to understand the volume integral of B H as well as the forces on current carrying conductors in magnetic fields (Lorentz v x B force).

Related to Understanding Superconducting Energy Storage: Principles and Applications

1. What are superconductors and how do they work?

Superconductors are materials that can conduct electricity with zero resistance when cooled below a certain temperature. They work by allowing electrons to flow through the material without any resistance, resulting in no energy loss. This is due to the phenomenon of Cooper pairs, where electrons join together and move through the material in a coordinated manner.

2. What are the potential applications of superconductors in energy storage?

Superconductors have the potential to revolutionize energy storage by allowing for the creation of highly efficient and powerful energy storage devices. These could include superconducting magnetic energy storage (SMES) systems, which can store electricity for long periods of time with minimal energy loss, and superconducting fault current limiters (SFCLs) which can protect electrical grids from power surges.

3. What are the current challenges in using superconductors for energy storage?

One of the main challenges in using superconductors for energy storage is the need for extremely low temperatures. Many superconductors require temperatures close to absolute zero (-273.15°C) to exhibit their superconducting properties, making it difficult and expensive to maintain these conditions. Another challenge is the high cost of producing superconducting materials, which limits their widespread use.

4. How do superconductors compare to traditional batteries for energy storage?

Superconductors have the potential to be much more efficient and powerful than traditional batteries for energy storage. They can store and release energy much faster, have longer lifetimes, and have the potential to store much larger amounts of energy. However, traditional batteries are currently more cost-effective and do not require the extreme temperatures that superconductors do.

5. What advancements are being made in the field of superconducting energy storage?

Scientists and engineers are constantly researching and developing new superconducting materials that can operate at higher temperatures, making them more practical and cost-effective for energy storage applications. There are also efforts to improve the scalability and reliability of superconducting energy storage systems, as well as finding ways to integrate them into existing electrical grids. Additionally, there is ongoing research into the potential use of superconductors in other areas, such as transportation and computing.