Understanding String Tension in Circular Motion

In summary, the tension in the string at the top of the swing is necessary to supply the centripetal force for the mass to maintain its circular motion. The tension is not dependent on the mass trying to move away from the center of the circle, but rather on the speed of the mass. At the top of the swing, the tension is equal to the centripetal force needed, and if the mass were to be released with the same velocity, the tension would still be present to maintain the circular motion.
mr.physics
Hi there,

I have a very basic question about string tension. Say I have a mass at the end of some string whirled around in a vertical circle. At the top of the swing why is there still tension? I get that if the speed of the mass is large enough some tension would be needed to supply the centripetal force, but I don't understand why the tension would act in response to the "needs" of the centripetal force. It seems to me there would only be tension if the mass were trying to move farther away from the center of the circle than allowed by the string. If I were to release the mass in this same configuration from the top of the swing with some velocity, why isn't the string just slack and why doesn't the mass just fall down in response to gravity?

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends how fast you are twirling it. If you twirl it with the minimum rotation necessary to make a circle, then the tension at the top is 0. But if you twirl any faster, then the string is pulling on the mass to accelerate the mass downward faster than free-fall. In the absence of forces, the mass will just travel in free-fall. Not sure what is confusing you.

If you release the mass in the same configuration, you get the same behavior, of course. You are launching the mass horizontally, but your string is attached vertically, so the mass isn't free to travel horizontally, but is pulled by the string downward.

mr.physics said:
Hi there,

I have a very basic question about string tension. Say I have a mass at the end of some string whirled around in a vertical circle. At the top of the swing why is there still tension? I get that if the speed of the mass is large enough some tension would be needed to supply the centripetal force, but I don't understand why the tension would act in response to the "needs" of the centripetal force. It seems to me there would only be tension if the mass were trying to move farther away from the center of the circle than allowed by the string. If I were to release the mass in this same configuration from the top of the swing with some velocity, why isn't the string just slack and why doesn't the mass just fall down in response to gravity?

Thanks for the help

Try not to think anthropomorphically. There is a constant acceleration downwards due to gravity, in addition to anything caused by the string. So, at the top, in the limiting case, there is just enough centripetal acceleration (g) to keep the motion in a circle and the tension would be zero. If the mass were going any slower then g would be more centripetal acceleration than needed to keep the circular motion and the mass would follow a parabola - not a circle.

Related to Understanding String Tension in Circular Motion

1. What is string tension in circular motion?

String tension in circular motion refers to the force exerted on an object attached to a string or rope that is rotating around a fixed point. This force is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object in circular motion.

2. How does string tension affect circular motion?

String tension plays a crucial role in circular motion as it is responsible for providing the centripetal force needed to keep an object in circular motion. If the string tension is too weak, the object will move away from the circular path, and if it is too strong, the object will move towards the center of the circle.

3. What factors affect string tension in circular motion?

The amount of string tension in circular motion is affected by the mass of the object, the speed of rotation, and the radius of the circle. As the mass or speed increases, the string tension must also increase to maintain circular motion. Similarly, a larger radius requires less string tension.

4. How do you calculate string tension in circular motion?

The formula for calculating string tension in circular motion is T = mv^2/r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed, and r is the radius of the circle. This formula is derived from Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

5. How can understanding string tension in circular motion be applied in real life?

Understanding string tension in circular motion has practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, sports, and amusement park rides. Engineers use this concept to design structures like bridges and roller coasters, while athletes utilize it in sports like gymnastics and figure skating. Amusement park rides, such as the swing ride, rely on string tension to keep riders safely in circular motion.