Understanding Stokes' Theorem and Gradient Functions

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc 3
In summary, the conversation was about a recent calc 3 "semifinal" test and some questions that came up afterwards. The first question discussed whether stokes or divergence applies to a specific problem involving a "closed loop." The second question was about determining which nested functions would always be zero, with the debate between div(grad f) and grad(grad f) as the correct answer.
1MileCrash
Just took calc 3 "semifinal"

And I have a few questions regarding concepts, which was sparked by a conversation with a few classmates after the test.

1st, a problem was given to us and we were asked if stokes or divergence applies. It was a line integral, so divergence did not apply.

It said that C is a "closed loop". Everything else was textbook stokes. So I wrote that stokes applied.

However, one of my classmates told me that a "closed loop" may cross its own boundary and thus doesn't enclose a single surface so stokes does not apply. I honestly did not think of that. What do you think? I think "closed loop" implies a loop, a single loop, that doesn't cross itself but I just go by how I define the word "loop." I have no mathematical reason.

The last part of our test was nested things like "grad(div F)" and we were simply to write if these were a vector, scalar, or neither (nonsensical.)

At the end, a question was asked "which of these is always zero?" I only had two of these nested functions as scalars, div(grad f) and div(curl F). Doing a bit of thinking, I figured the former came down to second derivatives, which isn't necessarily 0, so I picked div(curl F).

However, an engineering major told me that it was definitely grad(grad F) because the first grad gives you a perpendicular vector, so a vector perpendicular to that is parallel to the original (?).

I don't understand his logic at all. Gradient is del(scalar field) which is a vector field itself. Thus I put neither for grad(grad f) and didn't even consider it, because by our definitions the gradient of a vector doesn't make sense. That's not tackling his reasoning about the parallel => 0 thing..

Physics news on Phys.org
hi 1MileCrash! :smile:
1MileCrash said:
… However, one of my classmates told me that a "closed loop" may cross its own boundary and thus doesn't enclose a single surface so stokes does not apply. I honestly did not think of that. What do you think? I think "closed loop" implies a loop, a single loop, that doesn't cross itself but I just go by how I define the word "loop."

if your classmate defines a loop as the image of a function from a circle onto the space, then yes he's right …

but then "loop" would also have to include a completely squashed loop (every point repeated, except for two "ends"), and anything in between …

so i think your definition is the more sensible one :wink:
… "which of these is always zero?" I only had two of these nested functions as scalars, div(grad f) and div(curl F). Doing a bit of thinking, I figured the former came down to second derivatives, which isn't necessarily 0, so I picked div(curl F).

However, an engineering major told me that it was definitely grad(grad F) because the first grad gives you a perpendicular vector, so a vector perpendicular to that is parallel to the original (?).

I … didn't even consider it, because by our definitions the gradient of a vector doesn't make sense.

yes, no such thing as grad of a vector :wink:

Related to Understanding Stokes' Theorem and Gradient Functions

What topics are typically covered on a calc 3 semifinal?

The topics covered on a calc 3 semifinal can vary depending on the specific course and instructor. However, some common topics include multivariate calculus, vector calculus, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector fields.

How difficult is a calc 3 semifinal compared to the final exam?

This can also vary depending on the specific course and instructor. Generally, the semifinal is designed to test your understanding of the main concepts and may not be as comprehensive as the final exam. However, it is still an important assessment and should be taken seriously.

What is the best way to prepare for a calc 3 semifinal?

The best way to prepare for a calc 3 semifinal is to review your notes, practice problems, and any previous exams or quizzes. Make sure you understand the main concepts and are able to apply them to different types of problems. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek help from your instructor or a tutor.

Are there any online resources that can help with studying for a calc 3 semifinal?

Yes, there are many online resources available for studying calc 3, such as practice problems, video tutorials, and study guides. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Paul's Online Math Notes, and Wolfram MathWorld.

What should I do if I am struggling with a specific topic on the calc 3 semifinal?

If you are struggling with a specific topic, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. You can reach out to your instructor for clarification or attend office hours. You can also work with a tutor or seek help from classmates or online resources. It is important to address any areas of weakness before the final exam.