Understanding Static Friction in a Cart and Wall System

In summary, if you want to push the cart forward without it sliding down the wall, you need to find a value of a such that the mass doesn't slide. The free body diagram for the mass shows that static friction alone will keep the mass attached to the wall, so there is equilibrium on the horizontal axis.
torquemada
A cart (with wheels) sits on a horizontal table. The front of the cart is a vertical wall, with mass M = 0.313 kg held against the wall. You want to push the cart forward with an acceleration of magnitude a so the mass M can be released and it will not slide down the wall. Assume the coefficient of static friction between the block and the wall of the cart is μs = 0.407. Find the minimum value of a for which the mass does not slide.

Forget equations for the moment. I just am having trouble reading this problem in the first place. I can't make sense of the situation physically - been trying for a while now. Anyone know of a picture of what's going on here? the wording seems a bit ambiguous. Does 'held against the wall' mean someone is pressing it into the wall of the cart? Or is it just sticking on the wall? My free body diagram just has gravity on the mass pulling down balanced by static friction between the mass and the cart's wall pointing up (before the cart is pushed). I am tempted to say there is a normal force but how can there be if nothing is pressing the mass into the cart? then again if nothing is pressing the mass into the cart how is it sticking to the wall? Static friction alone pointing up makes it stick to the wall such that there is equilibrium on the horizontal axis? Do I need a free body diagram for the cart, for which data is sparse? Or just for the mass? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess they expect you to only consider the case when the cart is moving forward with a constant acceleration.

A free body diagram for the mass would be enough in that case.

Hey thanks man. The picture clicked now and I solved the problem. It's just g/static friction coefficient. Thanks anyway all - this thread can be closed.

Related to Understanding Static Friction in a Cart and Wall System

What is static friction?

Static friction is a force that resists the motion of an object that is resting on a surface. It occurs when there is no relative motion between the object and the surface, and the object is not yet in motion.

What causes static friction?

Static friction is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of the object and the surface it is resting on. These irregularities create microscopic bumps and valleys that interlock with each other, making it difficult for the object to start moving.

How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when an object is at rest, while kinetic friction occurs when an object is in motion. Static friction is typically stronger than kinetic friction, as it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance and start the motion of an object.

How is static friction calculated?

The formula for calculating static friction is: Fs ≤ μsN, where Fs is the force of static friction, μs is the coefficient of static friction (a constant that depends on the surfaces in contact), and N is the normal force (the force exerted by the surface on the object).

How can static friction be reduced?

Static friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to fill in the microscopic bumps and valleys on the surfaces. Another way to reduce static friction is by using a smoother surface or by decreasing the weight or contact area of the object.