Understanding Spoilers and Down Force: How They Impact High Speed Performance

• Thread starter noagname
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, spoilers are primarily used for creating downforce on the rear wheels of a car, while air dams and splitters are used to reduce air flow under the front end of the car and create downforce at the front. Other types of race cars, such as Formula 1 and Indy Racing League cars, use wings and diffusers to create downforce at both the front and back of the car. Additionally, some F1 cars use exhaust gases to enhance the effect of the rear diffuser. Overall, the design of these components is crucial in balancing and maximizing downforce on a race car for optimal performance.
noagname
I have looked around online and I can't get a straight answer. I understand that spoiler in the back of a car create down force on the rear wheels. But do they place any down force on the front tires? At high speeds don't cars(sports) have problems with the front end having to much air flow underneath it and the front end being lifted. If so how is that problem solved?

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought that spoilers were there to reduce (spoil) the turbulence at the back which is a major source of drag. Is that wrong?

sophiecentaur said:
I thought that spoilers were there to reduce (spoil) the turbulence at the back which is a major source of drag. Is that wrong?
You are correct; however "spoiler" and "wing" have become synonymous to the layman.
noagname said:
But do they place any down force on the front tires?
No.
noagname said:
At high speeds don't cars(sports) have problems with the front end having to much air flow underneath it and the front end being lifted. If so how is that problem solved?
It isn't solved by spoilers. They are most common for front-engine, rear-wheel drive cars which have enough weight on the front wheels to keep them straight, but need more force on the back wheels to get traction. This problem is generally addressed by making cars that ride very close to the ground to minimize the airflow, and also by shaping the underside of the car body appropriately to not provide lift.

drag-racing.jpg

Low to the ground, front wheels for steering only, all the downforce directed to the back wheels by mechanical design and the wing. Designed for extreme speed. Lift is combated by design of the front body.

[PLAIN]http://www.subarupic.com/subaru/car/pictures/2010/04/112-0705-11zpeter-solberg-subaru-impreza-rally-carsliding.jpg
Designed for agility and acceleration: spoiler exists to calm turbulent airflow, all-wheel drive. Liftoff is not an issue as those speeds aren't reached.

Last edited by a moderator:
noagname said:
I have looked around online and I can't get a straight answer. I understand that spoiler in the back of a car create down force on the rear wheels. But do they place any down force on the front tires? At high speeds don't cars(sports) have problems with the front end having to much air flow underneath it and the front end being lifted. If so how is that problem solved?
Nascar type racing cars use spoilers in the rear for downforce and air dams / splitters up front to block air flow from getting under the car, which ends up reducing pressure under the front end of the car, creating downforce at the front. Formula 1 and other types of race cars use wings and splitters at the front, wings and diffusers at the back. Indy Racing League cars are also allowed to use ground effects (underbody tunneling) for additional downforce (Formula 1 cars have to use a "skid" plate instead).

Wiki article about diffuser and splitter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuser_(automotive)

rcgldr said:
Formula 1 and other types of race cars use wings and splitters at the front,
The splitter on an F1 car accelerates air under the floor of the car and provides downforce further back in the car, instead of where the splitter is actually located (in front of the driver).

I believe that the move to high noses from about 1993 onwards is a drive to actually increase airflow under the car in order to improve downforce created by both the splitter and the rear diffuser.

F1 cars also channel exhaust gases into the rear diffuser to create added downforce.

Thank you it all makes sense now

Related to Understanding Spoilers and Down Force: How They Impact High Speed Performance

1. How do spoilers affect a car's down force?

Spoilers are designed to create a downward force on a car, pushing it towards the ground. This increased down force allows for better traction and handling, especially at high speeds. The shape and angle of the spoiler play a crucial role in determining the amount of down force generated.

2. Can spoilers be added to any car?

While spoilers are popular among sports cars and race cars, they can technically be added to any car. However, the effectiveness of the spoiler may be limited on a car that is not designed for high speeds or racing conditions.

3. What is the difference between a spoiler and a wing?

A spoiler and a wing serve a similar purpose in creating down force, but they differ in their design and placement. Spoilers are typically located on the rear of a car, while wings are often mounted at the back or top of the car. Wings also tend to have a more pronounced shape and angle, generating more down force compared to spoilers.

4. Do spoilers increase fuel efficiency?

In most cases, spoilers do not have a significant impact on fuel efficiency. While they may slightly reduce drag at high speeds, the added weight and drag from the spoiler can actually decrease fuel efficiency in regular driving conditions.

5. Are spoilers legal for street use?

In most countries, spoilers are legal for street use as long as they do not exceed certain regulations on height and width. However, some countries may have stricter laws regarding the use of spoilers on public roads. It is important to check local laws and regulations before adding a spoiler to your car.