Understanding Spin & Angular Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about understanding spin and angular momentum, specifically related to spin parallel, triplet states, and the z component of angular momentum. The individual is seeking clarification on the concept and asks questions about spin in the z-direction and the form of a triplet state.
luxiaolei
Hi,all

I found myself so hard to turly understand (spin)angular moment, like spin parallel, triplet state, z component of angular moment etc...always mixed them up and confuse myself.
Anyone can help me with understanding these and clarify them would be really helpful.

Q1: Sz spin in z direction in the real space?

Q2:trplet sate has S=1, why one of them is of the form (1/root(2)) (|up down> + |down up>)? its probability or anythingelse? ( I though before, triplet states are parallel and singlet is antiparallel)

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Q1: I am not sure if i understand your question, but Sz means the spin in z-direction in real-space. but of course, it is up to the definition of z-axis in your system.

Q2: You can operate (S_1+S_2)^2 on the state you have to see if it gives an eigenvalue 1*(1+1). (This is actually a tricky quantum mechanics homework problem. People often forgot how to do it when they have taken the course too many years ago.)

Related to Understanding Spin & Angular Momentum

1. What is spin and angular momentum?

Spin and angular momentum are physical properties of particles that describe their rotational motion. Spin refers to the inherent rotation of a particle around its own axis, while angular momentum refers to the overall rotational motion of a particle in space.

2. How is spin and angular momentum measured?

Spin and angular momentum are measured in units of angular momentum, such as joule-seconds (J⋅s) or Planck units (ħ). These values can be calculated using the mass, velocity, and distance of a particle, as well as its moment of inertia and angular velocity.

3. What is the relationship between spin and angular momentum?

Spin and angular momentum are closely related, but they are not the same thing. The spin of a particle contributes to its overall angular momentum, but there may be other sources of angular momentum, such as orbital motion or external forces. In quantum mechanics, spin is treated as an intrinsic property of particles, while angular momentum is a more general quantity that can be applied to any rotating object.

4. How does spin and angular momentum affect the behavior of particles?

Spin and angular momentum play a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles. For example, the spin of an electron determines its magnetic properties and its interaction with electromagnetic fields. Angular momentum also affects the stability and energy levels of atoms, as well as the behavior of larger objects such as planets and galaxies.

5. What is the importance of understanding spin and angular momentum?

Understanding spin and angular momentum is essential for many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and astrophysics. These concepts help us to explain and predict the behavior of particles and objects at the atomic and cosmic scales. They also have practical applications in technology, such as in the design of MRI machines and computer hard drives.