Understanding Spacetime Diagrams

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding spacetime diagrams from different reference points and how to draw them accurately. Some suggestions for drawing spacetime diagrams are to use a paper and photo method, an art program, or a Minkowski diagram generator. The theory behind spacetime diagrams involves the concepts of timelines and worldlines, as well as the use of the Minkowski metric. It is important to note that the Minkowski plane is not a Euclidean plane, and drawing a Minkowski diagram requires a different way of thinking. The conversation also discusses the use of light clocks on spacetime diagrams and their importance in understanding special relativity. While drawing spacetime diagrams is a helpful learning tool, it is also important to learn the
Pencilvester said:
I see in your otherwise well drawn diagram that the rocket’s worldline goes over 2 units for every 3 units up, which means the lines of simultaneity should go over 3 units for every 2 units up

This is a very helpful tip! So, to get the slope of the line of simultaneity given the X and Y coordinates of the worldline, we just flip the numbers. E.g. if the car is moving at .1 c, then for every movement of .1 to the right, the y movement is 1 (.1, 1). The line of simultaneity, then, would have coordinates of (1, .1) and the slope is .1?

robphy said:
The rotated grid lines represent light-cones, which in my opinion is at the heart of special relativity

It was through watching a video about light cones that I first started to understand the rule about why two events can never occur in reverse order, no matter which frame of reference is observing them, when the first event had caused the second event to occur:

Physics news on Phys.org
NoahsArk said:
It was through watching a video about light cones that I first started to understand the rule about why two events can never occur in reverse order, no matter which frame of reference is observing them, when the first event had caused the second event to occur:
If the first event caused the second event then their separation is timelike and what you say about the order is true. If the events have a spacelike separation then the order of the events varies with different reference frames. In particular, there will be a frame where the events are simultaneous.

NoahsArk said:
the slope is .1?
Yes, ##\frac{dt}{dx}=0.1## for the lines of simultaneity of an object moving with ##\frac{dx}{dt}=0.1##.