Understanding Space-Time & Fields: A Flowchart Guide

In summary, I am having a very difficult time picturing space-time and fields and all of the various mathematical concepts that go along with them.
Quest_Ion
I am having a very difficult time picturing space-time and fields and all...

Anyone here have a sort of flow chart or procedural chart that I could use to try to better wrap my head around what this place is?

Sort of starting with universe and then going into spacetime and from spacetime to fields or if spacetime is a field then put fields first or however it is ordered and then placement for field excitations (particles) coming from which field they come from? Like a flowchart?

Anyone have anything like that or maybe could you draw a rough sketch for me?
Is spacetime a singularly unified substance or field?

Is spacetime a collection of fields?

Are fields excitations of spacetime or is spacetime an excitation of something more fundamental?

If a force is an excitation of a field Is a field a non-excited force?

What is the starting point exactly?

etc?

example_only.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quest_Ion said:
Is spacetime a singularly unified substance or field?
An answer that can be given in terms of the current models and theories. For the Standard Model in flat space-time, space-time is neither a substance or a field. It appears as a group of real numbers that parametrize the quantum fields which make up the standard model. These 4 parameters transform under the Poincare group which is made up of the rotations, boosts and translations as do the SM fields. The General relativity space-time is again a real number parameters set but making up a mathematical object called a manifold.

Paul Colby said:
It appears as a group of real numbers that parametrize the quantum fields which make up the standard model.

Spacetime is a sort of measure, like in wave-collapse, or a conceptual measure on paper used for illustrating/measuring fields by people?

In the above diagram, I should replace spacetime with universe and the line between the universe and em field, I should label spacetime? Or is spacetime just a concept?

How would you map it as above?

Quest_Ion said:
is spacetime just a concept?
I can't think of anything in physical theories that isn't just a made up concept by definition. I once talked to someone who happen to meet Linus Pauling in a restroom. He asked him how he happened to develop his spin formalism. He said beaming down to my friend who was rather short; "I just made it up." Integers, real number, Hilbert spaces, quantum fields are all just things people made up / developed . Now, having said that, these things are very useful things because they work. My suggestion for a flow chart would go,

##\text{Physics}\rightarrow\text{Read Some}##

Other than this I'm at a loss to help.

Related to Understanding Space-Time & Fields: A Flowchart Guide

1. What is space-time?

Space-time is a concept in physics that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. It is often represented as a four-dimensional continuum, where an object's position in space at any given moment can be described by four coordinates: three for space (length, width, and height) and one for time.

2. How does space-time affect objects?

Space-time is affected by the presence of massive objects, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. These objects create a gravitational field, which curves the fabric of space-time. This curvature affects the motion of objects, causing them to follow curved paths and experience changes in their perception of time.

3. What are fields?

In physics, a field is a region of space that has a measurable value at every point. For example, the gravitational field is the force of gravity at every point in space. Fields are often represented by vector arrows, with the direction and magnitude of the arrow indicating the strength and direction of the field at that point.

4. How are space-time and fields related?

Fields are a fundamental part of our understanding of space-time. As mentioned earlier, massive objects create a gravitational field that affects the curvature of space-time. Additionally, fields can be thought of as the way that forces are transmitted through space-time. For example, electromagnetic fields are responsible for the transmission of light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

5. Why is understanding space-time and fields important?

Understanding space-time and fields is crucial to our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It allows us to explain and predict the behavior of objects in the universe, from the motion of planets to the propagation of light. This understanding also has practical applications, such as in the development of technologies like GPS, which rely on our understanding of space-time and fields to function accurately.