Understanding Smooth Solutions to PDEs

In summary, a function is considered smooth if all its derivatives are continuous. The vector space of smooth functions is denoted as C^\infty(\Omega), with \Omega being the domain. While there is no formal definition of smoothness, it generally implies that a function has enough continuous derivatives for a particular purpose. Some textbooks define smoothness as having continuous derivatives of all orders, while others use qualifiers such as "smooth of order" or "sufficiently smooth" to indicate the required level of continuity. This can vary depending on the context and the type of space being studied.
waht
What exactly is a smooth solution to PDEs. I couldn't find the definition in my books, googled that and came up empty handed. I suspect the solution must be continuous with all the deriviatives.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right. A function is said to be smooth if all its derivatives are continous. The vector space of such functions is denoted [itex]C^\infty(\Omega)[/itex], where [itex]\Omega[/itex] is the domain where the function is defined.

I don't believe there is a formal definition of smoothness, but in general, when a text is talking about a smooth function, is implying that the function has as many continuous derivatives (not necesarily all) required for something to occur.

Last edited:
Thanks alot.

The "formal" definition of "smooth" that I have seen is "first derivative is continuous". I have also seen the phrase "sufficiently smooth" meaning as many continuous derivatives as you need.

Hi all, the standard definition of "smooth" (without qualification) in most textbooks on manifold theory is indeed that derivatives of all orders exist and are continuous. Examples include bump functions (as in partitions of unity) and frequency components of wave packets. Contrast real analytic solutions, which are far more "rigid"!

But Halls is also right, in the sense that many books/papers refer to "smooth of order such and such", or even "sufficiently smooth", meaning what AiRAVATA said: sufficiently smooth (usually short for "derivatives exist to order n and are continuous to order n-1") to ensure you can use whatever theorem you plan to quote in a proof.

Last edited:
It depend if your are working on Sobolev sapces or others

Related to Understanding Smooth Solutions to PDEs

What is a smooth solution to PDE?

A smooth solution to PDE (partial differential equation) refers to a solution that is differentiable an infinite number of times. This means that the function describing the solution is smooth and has no abrupt changes or discontinuities.

Why is a smooth solution to PDE important?

A smooth solution to PDE is important because it ensures the stability and accuracy of the solution. It also allows for the use of analytical methods to find the solution, which can often be simpler and more efficient than numerical methods.

What are some techniques used to find smooth solutions to PDE?

Some techniques used to find smooth solutions to PDE include separation of variables, Fourier series, and the method of characteristics. These techniques involve manipulating the PDE to obtain a solution in terms of known functions.

Are there any limitations to obtaining a smooth solution to PDE?

Yes, there are limitations to obtaining a smooth solution to PDE. In some cases, a smooth solution may not exist or may be too complicated to find analytically. In these cases, numerical methods may be necessary to approximate the solution.

How can a smooth solution to PDE be applied in real-world problems?

A smooth solution to PDE can be applied to various real-world problems in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it can be used to model heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and wave propagation. It can also be applied in designing and optimizing structures, such as bridges and aircrafts.