Understanding Singularity: Zero Mass, Infinite Density

• Thread starter YoungDreamer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Singularity
In summary, the concept of zero mass and infinite density is currently being addressed in the scientific community, as it presents a difficult problem in understanding the universe. While the idea of a singularity may seem illogical, it is a mathematical consequence of general relativity and is seen as a sign that a successor theory is needed. This concept has been the subject of ongoing research for over 60 years and remains a challenging concept for even the most intelligent minds.
YoungDreamer
Can somebody please explain to me the idea of zero mass and infinite density, my mind just is not comprehending it, it seems almost illogical to me. Please help my brain make sense of this. Non-mathemetical please as I am not part of the scientific community.

If the answer is just a simple "the extreme environment of a singularity breaks down all logic and laws" then I guess I'll just have to remember what I always say when the universe stumps me.

To begin to understand we must first understand that we will never understand.

Space news on Phys.org
YoungDreamer said:
Can somebody please explain to me the idea of zero mass and infinite density, my mind just is not comprehending it, it seems almost illogical to me. Please help my brain make sense of this. Non-mathemetical please as I am not part of the scientific community.

If the answer is just a simple "the extreme environment of a singularity breaks down all logic and laws" then I guess I'll just have to remember what I always say when the universe stumps me.

To begin to understand we must first understand that we will never understand.

I don't know of any physicists who think the singularity is real. Instead, the fact that it is a mathematical consequence of general relativity is interpreted to mean that general relativity must be replaced by some successor theory in this regime (collapsed state inside event horizon). As of now, there is no known usable theory covering this situation. Research on this is ongoing for at least 60 years; it is a hard problem.

I'll read the other thread as well thank you.

PAllen I thank you as well for pointing out that it is not some perceptual problem in my brain but just an incredibly difficult concept that is still very much unknown even after all the incredible discoveries some of the worlds most intelligent people have made regarding question.

I completely understand your confusion and the difficulty in comprehending the concept of zero mass and infinite density. It does go against our everyday understanding of the world around us. However, I assure you that it is not illogical, but rather a phenomenon that occurs in some of the most extreme environments in the universe.

First, let's define what we mean by mass and density. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while density is a measure of how tightly packed that matter is. In simpler terms, mass is the amount of "stuff" in an object, and density is how closely that "stuff" is packed together.

Now, when we talk about a singularity, we are referring to a point in space where the laws of physics, as we know them, break down. This point is often associated with black holes, which are regions in space with such strong gravitational pull that even light cannot escape. The extreme gravitational pull of a black hole causes matter to collapse in on itself, resulting in a singularity at the center.

In this singularity, the mass of the object becomes infinitely small, or zero, while its density becomes infinitely large, or infinite. This is because the gravitational pull is so strong that it crushes the matter to a point where it no longer has any measurable mass, but all of its "stuff" is still packed into a single point in space, resulting in infinite density.

While this may seem illogical, it is actually a consequence of the laws of physics in extreme environments. Our current understanding of the universe is limited, and we are still trying to unravel the mysteries of singularities and black holes. So, while we may not fully understand it yet, we can still use mathematics and scientific theories to explain and predict the behavior of these phenomena.

In conclusion, the concept of zero mass and infinite density may seem perplexing, but it is a result of the extreme conditions found in a singularity. As scientists, we continue to study and learn more about these phenomena, but it is important to remember that the universe is full of wonders that may never fully make sense to us. So, instead of getting frustrated, we can embrace the mystery and continue to explore and discover the amazing complexities of our universe.

Related to Understanding Singularity: Zero Mass, Infinite Density

1. What is singularity?

Singularity refers to a point in space-time where the laws of physics break down and traditional equations cannot accurately describe the behavior of matter. It is a concept that is often associated with black holes.

2. What is zero mass, infinite density?

In the context of singularity, zero mass refers to the idea that the matter at the singularity point has no physical dimensions or volume. Infinite density means that the matter is infinitely compacted, resulting in an extremely strong gravitational pull.

3. How is singularity related to black holes?

Singularity is often associated with black holes because it is believed that at the center of a black hole lies a singularity point with infinite density and zero mass. However, not all singularities are black holes, as they can also occur in other scenarios such as the Big Bang theory.

4. Can we observe singularity?

At this time, it is not possible to directly observe a singularity as it is a theoretical concept that lies beyond the event horizon of a black hole. However, scientists can study the effects of singularity, such as gravitational waves and the behavior of surrounding matter, to gain a better understanding of it.

5. What are the implications of understanding singularity?

Understanding singularity can help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics and the behavior of matter in extreme conditions. It can also provide insights into the origins of the universe and the possible fate of the universe. Additionally, it has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.