Understanding Schutz's Geodesic Deviation Eq. 6.84

In summary, The section on "Geodesic deviation" in Schutz discusses the use of equation 6.84, which involves a connecting vector (ξ) and a tangent vector (V). Equation 6.48 can be used to obtain ∇V∇Vξα, and the last equality is based on the fact that UβVα;β = 0 and (d/dλ)V = ∇UV = 0. However, there seems to be a misprint in the book as the correct equation should be 6.85 rather than 6.84.
patrik1982
I have some problem understanding the section on "Geodesic deviation" in schutz, more specifically I'm confused by eq. 6.84:

Eq 6.84 reads (ξ is the 'connecting vector' from one geodesic to Another, V is the tangent vector):

We can use (6.48) to obtain
VVξα = ∇V(∇Vξα) = (d/dλ)(∇Vξα) = Γαβ0(∇Vξα)

(Eq 6.48 gives the second equality, but I fail to see why the last equality is true)​
Eq 6.48 says the following:
UβVα = 0 ⇔ (d/dλ)V = ∇UV = 0
(U is tangent to the curve, λ is the parameter along it)Can someone please help me and explain what's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the book it is

##\nabla_V(\nabla_V\xi^\alpha)=\frac{d}{d\lambda}(\nabla_V\xi^\alpha)+\Gamma^\alpha_{\beta 0}(\nabla_V\xi^\beta)##

martinbn said:
In the book it is

##\nabla_V(\nabla_V\xi^\alpha)=\frac{d}{d\lambda}(\nabla_V\xi^\alpha)+\Gamma^\alpha_{\beta 0}(\nabla_V\xi^\beta)##
Nope. At least not in my book. (Photo attached)
So, this is a misprint then?

Attachments

• IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 430
patrik1982 said:
Nope. At least not in my book. (Photo attached)
So, this is a misprint then?
No, the relaevant equation, equivalent to the one martinbn wrote, is the next one:6.85

Related to Understanding Schutz's Geodesic Deviation Eq. 6.84

1. What is Schutz's Geodesic Deviation Equation 6.84?

Schutz's Geodesic Deviation Equation 6.84 is a mathematical equation that describes the change in separation between two nearby particles moving along a geodesic (the shortest path between two points) in a curved spacetime. It is an important equation in general relativity and is used to study the effects of gravity on the motion of particles in the universe.

2. How is Schutz's Geodesic Deviation Equation derived?

Schutz's Geodesic Deviation Equation is derived from the geodesic equation, which describes the path of a particle in a curved spacetime. By taking the second derivative of the geodesic equation and using the equations of motion for a test particle, Schutz was able to arrive at Equation 6.84.

3. What does Equation 6.84 represent?

Equation 6.84 represents the acceleration of the separation vector between two nearby particles moving along a geodesic. This acceleration is caused by the curvature of spacetime, which is a result of the presence of mass and energy in the universe.

4. How is Schutz's Geodesic Deviation Equation used in physics?

Schutz's Geodesic Deviation Equation is used in physics to study the effects of gravity on the motion of particles in the universe. It is particularly important in understanding the behavior of objects in the vicinity of massive objects, such as black holes and galaxies.

5. What are some limitations of Schutz's Geodesic Deviation Equation?

While Schutz's Geodesic Deviation Equation is a powerful tool for studying the effects of gravity, it has some limitations. It assumes a static, non-rotating spacetime and does not take into account the effects of other forces, such as electromagnetism. Additionally, it is only accurate for particles moving at non-relativistic speeds.