Understanding Resistance of Acceleration: Velocity & Force

In summary, the article says that relativistic mass can't be generalized to be the same for all velocities, and this is why it is not used much.
Jan Nebec
Hello!

Why does resistance to acceleration depend on both the velocity of the object as well as the direction of the force?

In circular motion, we can measure the centripetal force and centripetal acceleration, then we can calculate objects mass. Speed remains constant.

But we would get the same result for force acting parallel to an object, where velocity would change?

Thanks!
Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/what-is-relativistic-mass-and-why-it-is-not-used-much/

Physics news on Phys.org
Jan Nebec said:
Why does resistance to acceleration depend on both the velocity of the object as well as the direction of the force?
Fundamentally, the same reason as length contraction, time dilation, relativity of simultaneity and all other relativistic effects - we live in a universe whose spacetime is locally Minkowski.

You can derive it from the definition of momentum - and in that case the reason is the ##\gamma## that isn't present in Newtonian physics. Where does the ##\gamma## come from? Basically from the Minkowski nature of spacetime, via the Lorentz transforms.

Flip your question around: why shouldn't it depend on velocity? What answer would you consider acceptable to that question?
Jan Nebec said:
But we would get the same result for force acting parallel to an object, where velocity would change?
I'm not sure I follow your question. The formula for acceleration due to a force applied parallel to your motion is different to the one for a force perpendicular to your motion, yes, if that's what you are asking.

Note that this is all coordinate acceleration, so depends on choice of frame. Proper acceleration is a Lorentz scalar and has no such velocity or direction dependence.

Last edited:
Likes peety and Jan Nebec
You do realize that an object traveling in circular motion is accelerating even if its speed is constant, correct?

Jan Nebec said:
One explanation is that force gives the rate of change of momentum over time: ##F\ =\ \frac{dp}{dt}##

Under the rules of special relativity, momentum is given by: ##p\ =\ m\gamma v##

The gotcha is that ##\gamma## is a function of velocity: ##\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}##

If you have an acceleration perpendicular to velocity then gamma is a constant. If you have an acceleration parallel to the velocity, gamma changes with v and if you want to evaluate the first derivative of momentum then you have to invoke the product rule.

Last edited:
Likes Jan Nebec
Jan Nebec said:

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/what-is-relativistic-mass-and-why-it-is-not-used-much/
I'm confused; you started a thread yesterday on why relativistic mass isn't used anymore and cited the Insight article on why. I think the answer is: it doesn't and you misread the article! Here's the passage you are probably referring to:
In addition, the resistance to acceleration depends on both the velocity of the object as well as the direction of the force and so relativistic mass cannot in general correspond to a generalisation of either.
This is true for Relativistic mass, and it's a problem, which is the main reason you were told yesterday for why it isn't used.

...unless I'm misinterpreting this (I am an engineer, not a physicist)...

russ_watters said:
I'm confused; you started a thread yesterday on why relativistic mass isn't used anymore and cited the Insight article on why. I think the answer is: it doesn't and you misread the article! Here's the passage you are probably referring to:

This is true for Relativistic mass, and it's a problem, which is the main reason you were told yesterday for why it isn't used.

...unless I'm misinterpreting this (I am an engineer, not a physicist)...
Yes, I was referring to that part of an article. But I needed more specific mathematical proof for such statement, since in high schools they don't teach acceleration from such deep approach.

Jan Nebec said:
Yes, I was referring to that part of an article. But I needed more specific mathematical proof for such statement, since in high schools they don't teach acceleration from such deep approach.
So what you are really asking for is a derivation or example problem for the equation showing the relativistic relation between the force acting on an object and its acceleration in the insight article?

Jan Nebec said:
But I needed more specific mathematical proof for such statement, since in high schools they don't teach acceleration from such deep approach.
Calculation of
[tex]\frac{d}{d\tau}\frac{\mathbf{v}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{v}}{c^2}}}=\frac{d\mathbf{v}}{d\tau}\frac{d}{d\mathbf{v}}\frac{\mathbf{v}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{v}}{c^2}}}[/tex]
will be fine. Please try it.

Likes Jan Nebec
sweet springs said:
Calculation of
[tex]\frac{d}{d\tau}\frac{\mathbf{v}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{v}}{c^2}}}=\frac{d\mathbf{v}}{d\tau}\frac{d}{d\mathbf{v}}\frac{\mathbf{v}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{v}}{c^2}}}[/tex]
will be fine. Please try it.
Thank you! I think I've got what I needed :)

Related to Understanding Resistance of Acceleration: Velocity & Force

1. What is resistance of acceleration?

Resistance of acceleration refers to the force or hindrance that opposes the motion of an object. It is a measure of how difficult it is to change an object's velocity.

2. How is resistance of acceleration calculated?

The resistance of acceleration is calculated by dividing the force acting on an object by its mass. This is represented by the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

3. What factors affect resistance of acceleration?

The resistance of acceleration is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the force acting on the object, and the surface the object is moving on. Other factors such as air resistance, friction, and gravity can also affect the resistance of acceleration.

4. How does resistance of acceleration relate to velocity?

In general, the greater the resistance of acceleration, the slower the change in velocity will be. This means that a higher resistance of acceleration will result in a lower velocity, while a lower resistance of acceleration will result in a higher velocity. However, this relationship can vary depending on the specific circumstances and forces acting on the object.

5. What is the difference between resistance of acceleration and force?

Resistance of acceleration is a measure of how difficult it is to change an object's velocity, while force is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate. Resistance of acceleration is dependent on the mass of an object, while force is not. Additionally, resistance of acceleration is a hindrance to motion, while force is the cause of motion.