Understanding Reference Frames for Observing Real-Time Events

In summary, the criteria for seeing the latest state of an object in different reference frames is to be co-located with the object in order to eliminate any time delay in light signals. This means that all frames will see the event at the same time, regardless of their relative motion. The closer the observers become, the more current their observations of each other will be.
durant
What is the criteria to see the latest state of some object which exists after all the previous states in other reference frames? For instance, one observer may see a plane coming off the airport as 'present', other may see 'its flying' as present, but what is the criteria of those reference frames so we can see the 'latest' event?

Physics news on Phys.org
durant said:
What is the criteria to see the latest state of some object which exists after all the previous states in other reference frames? For instance, one observer may see a plane coming off the airport as 'present', other may see 'its flying' as present, but what is the criteria of those reference frames so we can see the 'latest' event?
Different reference frames have no bearing on what any observer sees, measures or observes. They only affect the coordinates that are applied to different events. The observers have to wait for the light to propagate from those events to wherever they are and by that time all frames preserve the timing of what the observers see. You're never going to understand this until you decide to learn about the Lorentz Transformation process which is very simple.

durant said:
what is the criteria of those reference frames so we can see the 'latest' event?

It's not a matter of reference frames, it's a matter of where you are relative to the object. To be sure you see the "latest" state of the object, you need to be co-located with the object, so there is no time delay for light signals to get from the object to you. That's true regardless of what reference frame you use.

As an additional insight, the above replies reflect the fact that all reference frames see the speed of light as 'c'. In other words, if you are stationary with respect to an object and I am 'rocketing' right past you, that is, at high speed, I'll see the event at the same time as you if we are the same distance from the object.

Another way to think about it is in a police radar observation: The cop may be sitting idle, you may be approaching her position at 80 mph...but you see each other at the same moment...nobody gets a 'preview' peek. As noted in the above comments, the closer you become, the more 'current' your observations of each other.

Naty1 said:
As an additional insight, the above replies reflect the fact that all reference frames see the speed of light as 'c'. In other words, if you are stationary with respect to an object and I am 'rocketing' right past you, that is, at high speed, I'll see the event at the same time as you if we are the same distance from the object.
Isn't what you are saying here is that at the moment that two observers are colocated, all frames will agree that whatever one sees, the other sees at the same time?

Naty1 said:
Another way to think about it is in a police radar observation: The cop may be sitting idle, you may be approaching her position at 80 mph...but you see each other at the same moment...nobody gets a 'preview' peek. As noted in the above comments, the closer you become, the more 'current' your observations of each other.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here but it doesn't seem to be merely another way to think about your first comment because these observers are not colocated. Can you elaborate?

ghwellsjr:

you interpret, I think, correctly the simple examples I posted...nothing esoteric was intended.

From the wording of the OP question, I assumed the OP is asking a basic question.

In the first, I was trying to give an basic example for the OP how two collocated observers see everything at the same time even in relative motion; in the second, that they see each other in the same 'latest state' when in relative motion. [Of course they see almost everything else at different times...]

Related to Understanding Reference Frames for Observing Real-Time Events

1. What are reference frames?

Reference frames are systems of coordinates that are used to describe the position and motion of objects. They serve as a point of reference for observers to measure the location, speed, and acceleration of an object.

2. Why is it important to understand reference frames for observing real-time events?

Understanding reference frames is crucial for accurately recording and interpreting real-time events. Different reference frames can result in different measurements and observations of the same event, so it is essential to have a consistent frame of reference to ensure accurate data.

3. How do reference frames impact our perception of events?

Reference frames can greatly influence our perception of events. For example, an observer's reference frame can affect their perception of the speed and direction of an object's motion. Additionally, the choice of reference frame can also influence how we interpret the cause and effect of events.

4. Can reference frames be changed?

Yes, reference frames can be changed. In fact, it is often necessary to switch between different reference frames to accurately observe and understand an event. However, it is important to ensure that all measurements and observations are made within the same reference frame to avoid inconsistencies and errors.

5. How do we determine the most appropriate reference frame for an event?

The most appropriate reference frame for an event depends on various factors, such as the type of event, the location of the observer, and the desired measurements. In general, the reference frame that simplifies the observation and analysis of the event is considered the most appropriate. It is also important to consider the context and potential biases when choosing a reference frame.