Understanding Reaction Forces: Problem 6.8 & 6.82

In summary, the vertical components at A and C are indeterminate and the frame cannot bend at B. However, the vertical components at A and B are determined when the frame is pinned at each end either horizontal or at an angle.
fayan77
I am having trouble recognizing reaction forces. for example, problem 6.8 on pin C there is no y component, the argument there was because there is no vertical member attached to C. That is understandable, but if we follow the same logic then there should not be an x component on pin A in problem 6.82

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, ABCD should be one piece.

Not really my field so I might be wrong but...

I don't think you can determine the vertical components at A and C in the first drawing. I think some assumptions would have to be made. For example if the frame was made slightly too short in the y direction wouldn't it tend to pull A and C together? Likewise push them apart if made too tall. So I don't see how you can work out the share of the vertical load each point carries. Perhaps there is an approach to solving this that I'm not aware of.

Perhaps it's resolved by convention? Eg if no vertical beam at C then it must be designed so that C carries no vertical load?

In the first drawing there is a joint in the middle of the lower horizontal beam. If that is a pin does that imply no vertical force can be transmitted by that beam to C?

fayan77 said:
Sorry, ABCD should be one piece.
So the frame cannot bend at B and can transmit a horizontal component to A.

However I think the vertical components at A and B are indeterminate.

CWatters said:
In the first drawing there is a joint in the middle of the lower horizontal beam. If that is a pin does that imply no vertical force can be transmitted by that beam to C?

More I think about it the more I think that this is the answer. Try just thinking about a single element pinned at each end either horizontal or at an angle...

pinned elements.jpg

Attachments

• pinned elements.jpg
    pinned elements.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 242

Related to Understanding Reaction Forces: Problem 6.8 & 6.82

1. What is a reaction force?

A reaction force is a force that is exerted by an object in response to another force acting on it. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the original force, according to Newton's third law of motion.

2. What is Problem 6.8 in relation to reaction forces?

Problem 6.8 is a specific problem that involves analyzing the reaction forces on a system of objects. It may involve calculating the magnitude and direction of the reaction forces, or determining the equilibrium of the system.

3. How can I solve Problem 6.8?

To solve Problem 6.8, you will need to draw a free body diagram of the system, identify all the forces acting on the objects, and apply Newton's laws of motion to set up and solve equations. It may also require knowledge of vector components and trigonometry.

4. What is Problem 6.82 and how is it different from Problem 6.8?

Problem 6.82 is another specific problem that involves analyzing reaction forces, but it may be more complex and require a deeper understanding of physics principles. It could involve dynamics, motion in multiple dimensions, or non-rigid bodies. It may also require the use of advanced mathematical techniques.

5. How is understanding reaction forces important in science?

Understanding reaction forces is crucial in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mechanics. It allows us to predict and explain the behavior of objects and systems in motion, and to design and optimize structures and machines. It also helps us understand the natural world and phenomena such as friction, gravity, and collisions.