Understanding ray diagrams for concave lenses

In summary, the question is asking which path Ray Y will take after passing through a lens, given that Ray X becomes Ray Z. The answer can be found by extrapolating Ray Y to the point where it would intersect the axis if the lens were not there. This is known as linear optics and is an approximation for proper geometric optics. By considering the slopes and indices of refraction, it can be determined that Ray Y will also become parallel after refraction.
Kyle91
Hey guys,

So some friends and I are studying for a test and we came across this question. I've absolutely no idea what the answer is simply because every website I've found only shows parallel rays and a ray going through the centre of the lens. It's incredibly aggravating.

Anyway here's the question -

rYpSVs0.png

Ray X became Ray Z when passing through the lens. Which does Ray Y become?

As I said, every website/textbook/youtube video skips this info so I don't have a guess. Can you please not make me work for the answer. I'll understand it if you just tell me. I don't want to hate studying - I just want to know.

Thank you

Science news on Phys.org
Sorry, our philosophy here is not to simply give answers to questions like this. :wink:

You might start by extrapolating ray Y to the point where it would intersect the axis if the lens were not there. That tells you the location of the (virtual) object associated with that ray.

I don't know much about the physics here, but I read about this in a book on symplectic methods in physics. Apparently, if you take any plane perpendicular to the F1F2 axis, then you can characterize a ray passing through that plane with two numbers:

q = height of intersection.
p = (slope of the ray) *(index of refraction)

The values of q and p depend on the plane you choose. But if you choose two different planes, then the corresponding q and p values are related by a matrix whose determinant equals 1.

q' = aq + bp
p' = cq + dp,

ad - bc = 1.

This is called linear optics and is an approximation of proper geometric optics.

So anyway, if you take the two planes just on either side of a thin lens, then (because the lens is very thin), the height remains unchanged from one side to the other. So a=1, b=0.
And if the incoming height is 0 (i.e. the ray intersects the lens along the central axis), then the slopes are unchanged because the lens is flat there. So d=1. (But you could also deduce this from ad-bc=1)

Anyway, the coefficient c is related to the concavity of the interface and the difference in index of refraction of the lens and the index of refraction of the ambient space (air?).

Presumably the index of refraction to the left of the lens is equal to the index to the right, so p and p' are proportional to the ingoing and outgoing slopes with the same proportionality constant. You can take this further to find the answer to your question.

Anyway, I thought I would put this down because your question reminded me of this stuff I read about a long time ago. And because I am guessing the linear approach is different from the one in your class. It has the benefit of being a powerful method that is easy to employ. However, it is limited to things like thin lenses in which a linearization of the true optics problem is valid. Also, since it is fairly formal, it does not necessarily add to your understanding of the physics.

Last edited:
for a concave lens, the incident ray diverges outward from its actual path... here the ray X becomes parallel after refraction... and ray Y is coming from below X... so that narrows down the possibilities of the final path of Y.

for reaching out to us with your question about ray diagrams for concave lenses. It can certainly be frustrating when studying and not being able to find the information you need. Let's take a look at your question and try to provide a clear answer.

In a concave lens, parallel rays of light will converge after passing through the lens. This is why in most diagrams, only parallel rays and a ray through the center of the lens are shown. However, when a ray of light passes through the center of the lens, it will not be refracted and will continue in a straight line.

Now, let's consider Ray X and Ray Z. Since Ray X became Ray Z after passing through the lens, we can assume that Ray X was initially parallel to the principal axis (the line passing through the center of the lens and perpendicular to its surface). Therefore, Ray Z must also be parallel to the principal axis after passing through the lens.

Now, let's look at Ray Y. Since it is not shown in the diagram, we can assume that it does not pass through the center of the lens. If it did pass through the center, it would not be refracted and would continue in a straight line, which is not the case here.

Therefore, we can conclude that Ray Y will also be refracted and will become parallel to Ray Z after passing through the lens. This can be seen in the diagram below:

[Insert diagram showing Ray X, Y, and Z passing through a concave lens]

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you and makes studying a little less frustrating. Remember, it's important to understand the concepts rather than just memorizing answers. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck on your test!

Related to Understanding ray diagrams for concave lenses

1. How do concave lenses work?

Concave lenses are curved lenses that are thinner at the center and thicker at the edges. They work by causing light rays to diverge, or spread out, when they pass through the lens. This causes the image to appear smaller and further away.

2. What is the difference between a concave lens and a convex lens?

A convex lens is thicker at the center and thinner at the edges, and it causes light rays to converge, or come together, when they pass through the lens. This results in a magnified and closer image. A concave lens, on the other hand, causes light rays to diverge and produces a smaller and further away image.

3. How do you draw a ray diagram for a concave lens?

To draw a ray diagram for a concave lens, first draw a horizontal line to represent the principal axis of the lens. Then, draw a vertical line through the center of the lens to represent the optical axis. Next, draw two parallel rays from the top and bottom of the object, passing through the center of the lens. The ray passing through the top of the object should be bent downwards, and the ray passing through the bottom of the object should be bent upwards. The point where these two rays intersect is the location of the virtual image.

4. What is the difference between a real and virtual image in a concave lens?

A real image is formed when the rays of light actually converge at a point and can be projected onto a screen. This occurs when the object is placed closer to the lens than its focal length. A virtual image, on the other hand, is formed when the rays of light appear to intersect at a point but do not actually converge. This occurs when the object is placed further away from the lens than its focal length.

5. How do you determine the size and location of the image in a concave lens?

The size and location of the image in a concave lens can be determined using the thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/di + 1/do, where f is the focal length of the lens, di is the distance from the lens to the image, and do is the distance from the lens to the object. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for either di or do to determine the location of the image. The size of the image can be determined by comparing the size of the object and the distance from the lens to the object.