Understanding Power Supply Ratings and Compatibility

In summary, the power output is more important than the current or voltage rating when looking for an AC power source. A 9VAC 1.3A digital guitar effects pedal would work well with a 12W power output. Adding a resistor to reduce the voltage to 9V would also work. Additionally, it does not matter what type of AC power source you are using- wall socket, Vac, or VDC.
sdusheyko
Hello

i need a 9VAC 1.3A source but it's hard to come by... is there a way i can use a similar source?

i don't know too much about this sort of thing but from what i understand the power output is more important than the individual current or voltage out... is that right? for example, my source would have to be around 12W output (p=iv=1.3*9=11.7watt.) or does the current and voltage rating actually matter?

could i add a resistor to say a 12vac 1a source to drop the voltage to get what i need?

what about vac verses vdc; does this really matter? if my wall socket output is 3p anyway, isn't that like vdc since it's constant?

i'm confused, any help would be much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
sdusheyko said:
Hello

i need a 9VAC 1.3A source but it's hard to come by... is there a way i can use a similar source?

i don't know too much about this sort of thing but from what i understand the power output is more important than the individual current or voltage out... is that right? for example, my source would have to be around 12W output (p=iv=1.3*9=11.7watt.) or does the current and voltage rating actually matter?

could i add a resistor to say a 12vac 1a source to drop the voltage to get what i need?

what about vac verses vdc; does this really matter? if my wall socket output is 3p anyway, isn't that like vdc since it's constant?

The answers to your questions mostly depend on what the AC power source is feeding. What device are you powering, and what are its input power requirements/specifications?

9VAC 1.3A digital guitar effects pedal.

sdusheyko said:
Hello

your 3 pin wall socket socket will be supplying 120VAC or maybe 240VAC depending on which country you live in.
And yes that's very different to DC and it matters greatly. Put any sort of AC voltage into a unit that requires a DC voltage and it will probably have an extremely short life span

If for example you are in the USA with 120VAC and you need 9VAC then you need to buy a transformer to drop from 120V to 9V

Dave

Related to Understanding Power Supply Ratings and Compatibility

What is power supply improvisation?

Power supply improvisation is the act of creating a makeshift or temporary power supply in a situation where a traditional power source is not available or reliable.

Why is power supply improvisation necessary?

Power supply improvisation may be necessary in emergency situations, remote locations, or when traditional power sources are not functioning properly. It can also be used in situations where a specific power output is needed that is not provided by traditional power sources.

What are some common methods of power supply improvisation?

Some common methods of power supply improvisation include using alternative power sources such as batteries, generators, solar panels, or wind turbines. Other methods include modifying existing power sources or using creative solutions such as hand-crank generators or human-powered devices.

What are the potential risks of power supply improvisation?

The potential risks of power supply improvisation include fire hazards, electrical shocks, and damage to equipment. It is important to carefully assess the safety and reliability of any improvised power supply before using it.

How can power supply improvisation be done safely and effectively?

To ensure safety and effectiveness, power supply improvisation should be done with proper knowledge and precautions. This includes using appropriate equipment, following safety guidelines and regulations, and regularly checking and maintaining the improvised power supply.