Understanding Power Ratings on Resistor: Will 50V DC Harm It?

In summary, the resistor in question has a power rating of 25W but can handle up to 800V. However, the 800V rating is only practical for high value resistors and short duration voltage pulses. At 50V DC, the power dissipation would be significantly higher than the power rating, potentially causing the resistor to fail.
IronHamster
I recently bought this resistor:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12573233

I want to hook it up to about 50V DC, but I want to know if this would be harmful to the resistor. According to the description it can handle up to 800V, but its power rating is only 25W. This doesn't make sense to me, because according to that power rating even a 9V battery would break it.

Anyone know how to reconcile the two? Would 50V be okay?

Engineering news on Phys.org

These resistors come in a wide range of values. The "800V" rating would only make practical sense for the high values resistors and for short duration voltage pulses, so the average power stayed within the 25W power rating.

Alternatively the 800V might be the breakdown voltage between the actual resistor and the outside of the casing. (In other words it would be OK if one end of the resistor was at 800V above ground potential and the other end was 799V above ground).

http://www.nteinc.com/resistor_web/pdf/twentyfive.pdf

At 50V DC the power dissipation would be 50^2 / 0.47 = 5.3 kW, so a 25W resistor isn't going to last very long. It mgiht explode rather than just catching fire, operated so far outside its power rating.

Ah, I understand perfectly. Thanks Aleph!

Related to Understanding Power Ratings on Resistor: Will 50V DC Harm It?

1. What does the power rating on a resistor mean?

The power rating on a resistor refers to the maximum amount of power that the resistor can handle without overheating or getting damaged. It is usually measured in watts (W) and can range from 1/8W to several watts depending on the size and type of resistor.

2. Can I use a 50V DC power supply with a resistor that has a lower power rating?

It is generally not recommended to use a power supply with a voltage higher than the power rating of the resistor. This can cause the resistor to overheat and potentially fail. It is best to choose a resistor with a power rating that is equal to or higher than the voltage of the power supply.

3. What happens if I exceed the power rating on a resistor?

If you exceed the power rating on a resistor, it can overheat and potentially fail. This can cause the circuit to malfunction or even cause damage to other components. It is important to choose a resistor with a power rating that is appropriate for the circuit's needs.

4. Can I use a resistor with a lower power rating if I only need it for a short period of time?

It is not recommended to use a resistor with a lower power rating even for a short period of time. The power rating is designed to ensure the resistor can handle the maximum amount of power it may encounter. Using a lower power rated resistor can still cause it to overheat and fail, potentially causing damage to the circuit.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider when choosing a resistor based on its power rating?

Aside from the power rating, it is also important to consider the resistance value and tolerance of the resistor. These factors can affect the overall performance and accuracy of the circuit. It is also important to make sure the resistor is properly mounted and has enough airflow for heat dissipation.