Understanding Physics Problems: Work, Energy, and Power

In summary: Use Pythagorean Theorem to get the distanceIn summary, the conversation discusses various examples involving physics, such as calculating kinetic energy and potential energy of falling objects, determining speed and maximum height reached, and finding distance and power. The specific formulas and methods for solving these problems are also mentioned.
awesomeman123
I have some examples of physics i don't quite understand, so please if you could explain me how to solve them and what to do.
1. Object of mass 2kg starts to fall from height 10m,count his kinetic energy when it passes from point which is on height 2m.
2. Object of a mass 2kg is thrown from surface of Earth with beginning speed 20m/s
a) what is his speed on height of 5meters
b) what's his kinetic energy on height of 10meters
c) what's his maximum he can get.
3.Object starts to fall from height of 100 meters, on which height his kinetic energy will be 2/3 potencial energy.
4. Mass of a object is 500 grams, speed is 72km/h, 10 meters of height, determine power.
5.Power of object 0,4kW performed work of 1600J determine time.
6.Force of 20N performs work if 120J on angle 45 degrees. Determine distance which passed (i think) if its something else which you think needs to be solved in 6 example explain me that way.
On 1. example i tried to solve it, like count potential energys of both heights than substract it...idk if that's right
2. a) and c) i understand a little.. but i don't know b)
3. i divided 100 by 3, than multiplied by 2...but it think this is wrong way
4.i can't find formula for this i tried but i don't know if i calculated good
5. i used formula t=A/P is it right formula?
6.im not sure what does it need to calculate with that i guess passed distance, i tried to calculate it and turned out 3V2 is it right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) yes. mg(8m)
2) KE(1) + PE(1) = KE(2) + PE(2) ... 1 and 2 are different places
3) yes.
4) what specifically did you do? Power by what? (gravity?)
5) (Power = Work/time ... what do you mean by "A"?)
6) Work = F dot distance ... dot means parallel component (cos theta)

Related to Understanding Physics Problems: Work, Energy, and Power

1. What is the difference between work and power?

Work is the measure of the energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and it moves in the direction of the force. Power, on the other hand, is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred.

2. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F x d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied.

3. How is energy related to work?

Energy and work are closely related, as work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. The amount of work done on an object is equal to the change in its energy.

4. What is the unit for power?

The unit for power is watts (W), named after the inventor James Watt. It is equivalent to one joule of work per second.

5. Can power be negative?

Yes, power can be negative. A negative power value indicates that work is being done on the system, rather than by the system. This often occurs in situations where energy is being transferred in opposite directions, such as in friction or resistance.