Understanding Percentiles and Their Applications in Statistical Analysis

• Thread starter torquerotates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concepts
In summary: Sorry about asking such a basic question but I'm having a brain fart. So if I have a sample of 3 iid random variables X1, X2, X3, I know the median is just the middle value. So does that mean that the 80th percentile is the third largest one and the 40th percentile is the smallest one? If i have 10 random variables, would the 40th percentile be the 4th largest one?Your sample contains only three values? Then, yes, because 80% is larger than 50%, the "80th percentile" is just the largest value and, because 40% is less than 50%, the "40th percentile is the smallest value.
torquerotates
Sorry about asking such a basic question but I'm having a brain fart. So if I have a sample of 3 iid random variables X1, X2, X3, I know the median is just the middle value. So does that mean that the 80th percentile is the third largest one and the 40th percentile is the smallest one?

If i have 10 random variables, would the 40th percentile be the 4th largest one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your sample contains only three values? Then, yes, because 80% is larger than 50%, the "80th percentile" is just the largest value and, because 40% is less than 50%, the "40th percentile is the smallest value.

torquerotates said:
Sorry about asking such a basic question but I'm having a brain fart. So if I have a sample of 3 iid random variables X1, X2, X3, I know the median is just the middle value. So does that mean that the 80th percentile is the third largest one and the 40th percentile is the smallest one?

If i have 10 random variables, would the 40th percentile be the 4th largest one?

To answer this a bit more thoroughly you need to ask whether you are assuming that the distribution come from a model and you are trying to get percentile information for a distribution that's parameters are estimated from the data, or whether you want to treat your data in a distribution free context and compute the actual percentiles from the data.

If number 1 is the case, then you estimate the parameters of the distribution often using a valid point estimate, and then use the definition of the PDF to get your percentiles (you may have to solve this numerically, like in the case of the normal distribution or chi-square as a few examples).

In case 2, then you will have to basically sort all of your values, generate a histogram structure and do the same thing as above, except with your histogram and not an assumed model.

Both have advantages and disadvantages depending on what you are trying to do.

Related to Understanding Percentiles and Their Applications in Statistical Analysis

1. What is a percentile?

A percentile is a statistical measure that represents a specific point in a data set. It indicates the percentage of values that are equal to or below a particular value in the data set.

2. How is a percentile calculated?

To calculate a percentile, the data set must first be arranged in order from smallest to largest. Then, the percentile can be determined by finding the value in the data set that corresponds to the desired percentage. For example, the 75th percentile would be the value that is greater than 75% of the other values in the data set.

3. What is the difference between percentile and percentage?

A percentile is a measure of a specific point in a data set, while a percentage is a proportion or fraction of a whole. Percentiles are often used to compare data points to the rest of the data set, while percentages are used to compare a subset of data to the whole.

4. What is the importance of using percentiles in statistics?

Percentiles are important in statistics because they allow for the comparison of data points to the rest of the data set. This can help identify outliers or trends within the data and provide a more accurate understanding of the distribution of the data.

5. Can percentiles be used to compare data sets with different sample sizes?

Yes, percentiles can be used to compare data sets with different sample sizes. However, it is important to note that the results may not be as reliable when comparing data sets with significantly different sample sizes. In these cases, other statistical measures may be more appropriate for comparison.