Understanding Partial Fraction Decomposition in Integrals

In summary: But it always counted sin(x) right.Look at the last denominator in the incorrect submission...there is a missing $x$. :D
stripedcat
First the example problem. This is an integral of the whole thing

(3x^3+24x^2+56x-5) / (x^2+8x+17)^2

The answer comes out to be

3/2 ln(x^2+8x+17) - (49/2 tan^-1(x+4)) - (25x+105 / 2(x^2+8x+17) + C

I would show all the steps but I'm still not sure on how to use the format tools, so that would get really messy to read.

The 'real' problem is

(3x^3+18x^2+37-4) / (x^2+6x+10)^2

Which I solve to be...

3/2 ln(x^2+6x+10)- (43/2 tan^-1(x+3)) - (25x+82 / 2(x^2+6x+10)) + C

Which is 'wrong', I keep coming back with that same answer though, and online resources seem to confirm it?

I just don't know where I'm going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
We can't really tell you where you are going wrong without seeing your work. :D

The first step is to obtain the partial fraction decomposition of the integrand...what did you get for that?

MarkFL said:
We can't really tell you where you are going wrong without seeing your work. :D

The first step is to obtain the partial fraction decomposition of the integrand...what did you get for that?

For the second problem?

(3x^3+18x^2+37-4) / (x^2+6x+10)^2 =

((3x / x^2+10x) / (x^2+6x+10)) + ((7x-4) / (x^2+6x+10)^2)

That is what you wanted?

Okay, the actual integrand must be:

\(\displaystyle \frac{3x^3+18x^2+37x-4}{\left(x^2+6x+10\right)^2}\)

You have the second term correct, but the actual decomposition is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{3x}{x^2+6x+10}+\frac{7x-4}{\left(x^2+6x+10\right)^2}\)

Now, I would suggest adding zero to each numerator in a form that makes integrating easier...what do you get after doing this?

Scratch all that noise.

My answer was 'wrong', and yes, there was a uh... 'not so kind' email over this.

Typing out tan^-1 vs using the system to make a 'tan^-1( )

You tell me if you can tell the difference, maybe I just don't see it.

View attachment 2791

Attachments

• Math what now.jpg
    Math what now.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
stripedcat said:
Scratch all that noise.

My answer was 'wrong', and yes, there was a uh... 'not so kind' email over this.

Typing out tan^-1 vs using the system to make a 'tan^-1( )

You tell me if you can tell the difference, maybe I just don't see it.

View attachment 2791

For the inverse tangent function, try Arctan(x). Your input is probably making the computer read it as [tan(x)]^(-1).

Anything is possible.

Had a problem last week with other trig related inputs.

The examples always showed 'sinx', but if you put in 'sinx' for your answer, it counted it wrong... But only sometimes.

But it always counted sin(x) right.

Look at the last denominator in the incorrect submission...there is a missing $x$. :D

Related to Understanding Partial Fraction Decomposition in Integrals

1. What is a partial fraction?

A partial fraction is a mathematical expression that represents a fraction as a sum of simpler fractions. It is used to simplify complex fractions and solve equations involving fractions.

2. Why do we use partial fractions?

We use partial fractions to simplify complex fractions and make them easier to work with. This allows us to solve equations involving fractions more efficiently and accurately.

3. How do you find the partial fraction decomposition?

To find the partial fraction decomposition, we use the method of partial fraction decomposition. This involves factoring the denominator of the fraction, setting up a system of equations, and solving for the unknown coefficients of the simpler fractions.

4. Can you give an example of solving an equation using partial fractions?

For example, if we have the equation 3x + 5 = (2x + 1)/(x + 2), we can use partial fractions to rewrite the right side as (2x + 1)/(x + 2) = A + B/(x + 2). We then solve for A and B by setting up the system of equations 3 = 2A + B and 5 = A + 2B. Solving this system gives us A = 2 and B = 1, so the solution to the original equation is x = 3.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when using partial fractions?

Yes, there are some special cases and exceptions when using partial fractions. For example, if the denominator has repeated factors, we may need to use a different method to find the partial fraction decomposition. Additionally, if the degree of the numerator is greater than or equal to the degree of the denominator, we may need to use long division before applying partial fractions. It is important to carefully consider the form of the fraction before using partial fractions to solve an equation.