Understanding Parallax Angles in Astronomy: Explained with a Diagram

In summary: The astronomers measured the angle to be 1.52". To measure an angle this small takes a tremendous amount of skill and care. So, the parallax angle is 1.52 + the original angle?
jsmith613

Homework Statement

Can someone please explain to me how parallax works?
I don't understand how the angle of parallax is measured

Question to help: Astronomers measuring the parallax angle to Planet X found that the angle measured after 6 months was 1.52 arcsec different from the initial measurement
http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Astronomy2.htm

Angle theta is angle (Earth-Jan)-Star-(Earth-July)

They then said that angle theta is 1.52 BUT I don't see how, can someone please provide a diagram

Homework Equations

I can complete question knowing the angle theta is 1.52. I just don't understand why it is 1.52

The Attempt at a Solution

as above

Physics news on Phys.org
Hold your thumb out at arm's length with a distant wall in the background. Close one eye and then the other. See how your thumb seems to move back and forth depending on which eye you are looking through? That's the basic idea of parallax. By measuring how much you thumb moves back and forth, and knowing the distance between your eyes, you can calculate the length of your arm ( I know, big deal!)

can you draw the diagram for the Question about planet X

the thing I don't get is "1.52 arcsec different"
I can't visualise this in my head

jsmith613 said:
the thing I don't get is "1.52 arcsec different"
I can't visualise this in my head
They (the astronomers) measured the angle to be 1.52". To measure an angle this small takes a tremendous amount of skill and care.

For the right triangle they draw, 1.52" corresponds to 2θ .

I don't have a problem with the angle they measured BUT the difference between angle in Jan and angle in Jun is 1.52, so surely the paralax angle is 1.52 + original angle

Related to Understanding Parallax Angles in Astronomy: Explained with a Diagram

1. What is a parallax angle in astronomy?

A parallax angle is the apparent shift in the position of an object when viewed from two different vantage points. In astronomy, it is used to measure the distance of nearby objects, such as stars.

2. How is parallax angle measured?

Parallax angle is measured by observing the same object from two different locations, usually on opposite sides of the Earth's orbit around the Sun. The difference in the object's apparent position is then used to calculate its distance.

3. What does a diagram of parallax angle show?

A diagram of parallax angle typically shows the Earth's orbit around the Sun, with two different observation points on opposite sides. It also shows the object being observed and the angle of parallax, which is the angle formed by the two observation points and the object.

4. Why is parallax angle important in astronomy?

Parallax angle is important in astronomy because it allows us to measure the distance of objects that are too far away to be measured by other methods. It also helps us to understand the scale and size of the universe.

5. How does parallax angle affect the accuracy of distance measurements in astronomy?

The accuracy of distance measurements in astronomy is affected by parallax angle because the larger the parallax angle, the closer the object is to us. Objects with smaller parallax angles are farther away and therefore more difficult to measure accurately. Additionally, the accuracy of parallax measurements can be affected by factors such as atmospheric conditions and the precision of observation equipment.