Understanding Otto Cycle: Calculating Cycles, Heat Input, and Efficiency

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the Otto cycle and its application in a four-stroke engine. The question asks about the number of cycles in one minute, the heat input per minute, and the amount of heat wasted to the environment. The solution for (a) is found by dividing 3600 rpm by 2, giving 1800 cycles. For (b), the thermal efficiency of the engine is given as 20% and the power output of 150 hp is converted to 111.855 kW. To find the heat input, the equation E=W/Q is used, but the work done is still unknown. However, it is mentioned that the 150 hp is the clue. Finally, for (c
kris24tf
Otto Cycle?? Please help ASAP!

I have a question that my entire class is confused over. I need help on it for a test, but I have no idea where to go with it. It doesn't seem to fit any of the equations or situations I have been using.

The question is: A four-stroke engine runs on the otto cycle. It delivers 150 hp at 3600 rpm. a) how many cycles are there in one minute?
I know that this is just 3600/2 = 1800 cycles

b) If the thermal efficiency of the engine is 20% what is the heat input per minute?

I don't know how to get this one. I know the equation I want is E=W/Q, but I don't know how to find the work done. do I use the 150 hp, 3600 rpm, or combine them somehow?

c)How much heat is wasted to the environment / minute.

I need the answer to part b I think for this right?

Any help at all would be great. Thanks for looking.

Physics news on Phys.org
For (b), the 150 horse power is the clue.

1 hp = 0.7457 kW

What is the energy delivered in 1 minute.

I would recommend approaching this problem by first understanding the concept of the Otto Cycle. The Otto Cycle is a thermodynamic cycle that describes the process of a four-stroke internal combustion engine, used in most cars and motorcycles. It consists of four stages: intake, compression, power, and exhaust. During the intake stage, the fuel-air mixture is drawn into the cylinder. In the compression stage, the mixture is compressed by the piston, increasing its temperature and pressure. In the power stage, the spark plug ignites the compressed mixture, causing an explosion and pushing the piston down, creating work. Finally, in the exhaust stage, the leftover gases are expelled from the cylinder.

Now, to answer the questions:

a) The engine runs at 3600 rpm, which means it completes 3600 revolutions in one minute. Since the Otto Cycle has two revolutions (up and down) per cycle, the number of cycles in one minute would be half of the revolutions, which is 1800 cycles.

b) To calculate the heat input, we need to use the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. In this case, the heat input (Q) is equal to the work done (W) plus the heat wasted to the environment (Q_waste). So, the equation would be Q = W + Q_waste. To find the work done, we need to use the power output (150 hp) and the number of cycles per minute (1800). So, W = power output x number of cycles per minute = 150 hp x 1800 cycles/min = 270,000 hp-cycles/min. Now, we can use the efficiency (20%) to calculate the heat input: Q = W/efficiency = 270,000 hp-cycles/min / 0.20 = 1,350,000 hp-cycles/min.

c) To find the heat wasted to the environment, we can use the equation Q_waste = Q - W = 1,350,000 hp-cycles/min - 270,000 hp-cycles/min = 1,080,000 hp-cycles/min. This means that 1,080,000 hp-cycles of energy are wasted to the environment every minute.

Related to Understanding Otto Cycle: Calculating Cycles, Heat Input, and Efficiency

What is an Otto Cycle?

The Otto Cycle is a thermodynamic cycle that describes the process of a four-stroke internal combustion engine. It consists of four processes: intake, compression, power, and exhaust.

What is the purpose of the Otto Cycle?

The purpose of the Otto Cycle is to convert the chemical energy of fuel into mechanical energy, which is used to power the engine and perform work.

What is the difference between the Otto Cycle and the Diesel Cycle?

The main difference between the Otto Cycle and the Diesel Cycle is the type of fuel used. The Otto Cycle uses gasoline while the Diesel Cycle uses diesel. Additionally, the Diesel Cycle has a higher compression ratio and does not have a spark plug for ignition.

What is the efficiency of the Otto Cycle?

The efficiency of the Otto Cycle can vary, but it is typically around 25-30%. This means that only about 25-30% of the energy from the fuel is converted into mechanical energy, while the rest is lost as heat and friction.

How is the Otto Cycle used in everyday life?

The Otto Cycle is used in everyday life in vehicles with gasoline engines, such as cars, motorcycles, and lawnmowers. It is also used in other applications that require a small and lightweight engine, such as chainsaws and leaf blowers.