Understanding Orders of Magnitude: Clearing Up Confusion | Homework Help

• Thread starter liamporter1702
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary: This means that if you have 8μm^2, it would be equal to 8x10^-12m^2, not 8x10^-6m^2. The difference in units is due to the fact that when you square a value, its units are also squared.
liamporter1702

Homework Statement

Hi guys this isn't so much a coursework or homework help problem but figured this would be a sensible place to post my question. Basically I got back an assignment I had recently completed from my tutor and I had been marked down for some errors in regard to the orders of magnitude and he said I have been using the same order of magnitude for let's say μm (10^-6) as μm^2. My question is, what is the difference when the units are squared? Does this mean that, let's say 8μm^2 would not be equal to 8x10^-6 but a different value? Any help is appreciated to clear this up :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a square with side lengths equal to ##1 \mu m = 10^{-6}m##. Try expressing the area of this square in ##\mu m^2## and in ##m^2##.

Would this be correct:

For area in μm = 1μm^2

and area in m = 10^-6m^2

Thanks for replying!

liamporter1702 said:
Would this be correct:

For area in μm = 1μm^2
Yes.

and area in m = 10^-6m^2
No. If the side length is ##10^{-6}m##, then what do you get when you square that? Surely the square of ##10^{-6}## is not ##10^{-6}##.

Ah I see! It would be 10^-12?

liamporter1702 said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys this isn't so much a coursework or homework help problem but figured this would be a sensible place to post my question. Basically I got back an assignment I had recently completed from my tutor and I had been marked down for some errors in regard to the orders of magnitude and he said I have been using the same order of magnitude for let's say μm (10^-6) as μm^2. My question is, what is the difference when the units are squared? Does this mean that, let's say 8μm^2 would not be equal to 8x10^-6 but a different value? Any help is appreciated to clear this up :redface:

The conversion factor must also be squared - obviously. Draw a square 10cm by side on a piece of paper. Cut it down to squares 1cm by 1 cm (Don't really cut, just draw them). How many little squares do you have at hand? Do you have only 10 little squares?

liamporter1702 said:
Ah I see! It would be 10^-12?
That's right. So ##1 \mu m^2 = 10^{-12} m^2##, not ##10^{-6}m^2##.

Related to Understanding Orders of Magnitude: Clearing Up Confusion | Homework Help

1. What is meant by "orders of magnitude"?

Orders of magnitude refer to the difference in size or quantity between two numbers, typically measured in powers of ten. For example, the difference between 10 and 100 is one order of magnitude, while the difference between 100 and 1000 is two orders of magnitude.

2. How can orders of magnitude help in scientific research?

Orders of magnitude can help scientists quickly estimate or compare the size or quantity of something without needing exact values. It can also help identify patterns or trends in data that may not be apparent when looking at the actual numbers.

3. Can orders of magnitude be applied to any scientific measurement?

Yes, orders of magnitude can be applied to any measurement that can be expressed in numbers. This includes physical quantities such as length, mass, and time, as well as abstract concepts such as population size or energy levels.

4. What is the significance of moving up or down an order of magnitude?

Moving up an order of magnitude means increasing the value by a factor of 10, while moving down an order of magnitude means decreasing the value by a factor of 10. This can have a significant impact on the overall size or quantity being measured, and can help scientists understand the scale of a particular phenomenon.

5. How can I use orders of magnitude to make predictions?

By understanding the relationship between different orders of magnitude, scientists can make predictions or estimates about the behavior of a system or phenomenon. This can be useful in a variety of fields, from astronomy to economics, and can help guide further research or decision-making.