Understanding Normal Force: A Simplified Explanation

In summary, the normal force is a contact force between two objects and only exists when there is physical contact between the two objects. It is different from gravity, which is a non-contact force that exists between all objects with mass. The Earth exerts both gravitational and normal forces on objects, but the normal force only acts on the surface of the Earth. Normal forces can counteract the weight of an object in equilibrium, but they are not always equal and opposite to the gravitational force. Other small forces, such as the Earth's rotation and atmosphere, also come into play.
quark001

Homework Statement

A book rests on a table. Identify the NIII force pairs.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Downward force of book on table; upward force of table on book (N).
Downward force of book and table on ground; upward force of ground on book and table (N).
Downward force of Earth on book, table and ground (gravity); upward force of book, table and ground on earth.

This is where I get confused. The Earth and the ground are essentially the same thing, aren't they?

Also, the book is in equilibrium because the normal force of the table and gravity cancel.
The table is in equilibrium because the normal force of the ground and gravity cancel. So why is the ground in equilibrium? Are all normal forces essentially directed from the center of the earth, as is gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Earth is stable as it is very large having large mass!

mass of Earth is 10^24

the force on Earth due to table would be ~50N

F = ma
50 = 10^24 * a
a = ~0

I'm trying to understand the whole gravity/normal force relationship better. I know the Earth exerts a gravitational force on all objects, regardless of whether they touch the ground or not.

So does the Earth only exert an opposite normal force on an object only once the object touches the ground, or some surface (like a table)?

And am I correct in saying that: I exert a downward force on the Earth and the Earth exerts an upward (normal) force on me? The Earth also exerts a downward force on me (gravity) and therefore I must exert an upward force on the earth?

quark001 said:
I'm trying to understand the whole gravity/normal force relationship better. I know the Earth exerts a gravitational force on all objects, regardless of whether they touch the ground or not.
Good.

So does the Earth only exert an opposite normal force on an object only once the object touches the ground, or some surface (like a table)?
A normal force is a contact force between two objects. If there's no contact, there's no normal force. (Very different from gravity.)

And am I correct in saying that: I exert a downward force on the Earth and the Earth exerts an upward (normal) force on me? The Earth also exerts a downward force on me (gravity) and therefore I must exert an upward force on the earth?
Yes. When you are standing on the Earth there are two kinds of interaction between you: gravitational forces (which form third law pairs) and the contact/normal forces (which form a different set of third law pairs).

quark001 said:

strictly speaking: Earth exerts a gravitational force on everything. the bodies in contact with Earth's surface are also acted by by a normal force due to "Surface of earth".
This force is not due to gravity but electromagnetism. and this force follows Newton third Law and therefore act in pair! therefore WE remain in equilibrium on earth.

quark001 said:
And am I correct in saying that: I exert a force on the Earth and the Earth exerts an upward (normal) force on me? The Earth also exerts a downward force on me (gravity) and therefore I must exert an upward force on the earth?

Yes you are correct.
From this you can conclude that force on Earth due to "you" is balanced! ad same is for you!

How ever this is not true when there is no contact. In that case, there will be no normal forces and therefore you and Earth will be accelerated towards each other!

and you will have acceleration very larger than Earth due to reason which i explained above

Thanks, the replies so far have been very useful!

cupid.callin said:
strictly speaking: Earth exerts a gravitational force on everything. the bodies in contact with Earth's surface are also acted by by a normal force due to "Surface of earth".

Is it important to distinguish between the "earth" (when speaking of gravity) and the "surface of the earth" (when speaking of normal forces)?

Normal forces always counteract the weight of an object in equilibrium, right? So if an object doesn't have weight, it can't have a normal force working in on it? In other words, are normal forces dependent on gravity?

quark001 said:
Is it important to distinguish between the "earth" (when speaking of gravity) and the "surface of the earth" (when speaking of normal forces)?
Yes. The gravitational force exerted by the Earth on you is the sum of the gravitational forces exerted by all of the the Earth on you. The normal force only has to do with the surface at your location.

Normal forces always counteract the weight of an object in equilibrium, right?
No, they don't. Suppose the table is at 45 degrees latitude, making it about 4500 km from the Earth's rotation axis. The Earth rotates on its own axis, one revolution per sidereal day. This means the net force on the book resting on the table cannot be zero. It is necessarily equal to the mass of the book times the centripetal acceleration that results from this (more or less) uniform circular motion. For a 1 kg book, this is net force is about 0.024 Newtons. The normal force does not counteract gravitation for a rotating Earth.

There is also atmosphere to consider. Assuming the book has a density of 2 grams/cc, the buoyant force from the atmosphere on a 1 kg book is about 0.000625 Newtons. Even if the Earth was not rotating, the normal force still would not exactly balance gravitational force.

This net force and buoyancy might be small forces, but they are not zero. Some other small forces that come into play are the tidal forces. Bottom line: The normal force is not equal but opposite to the gravitational force.

Doc Al said:
A normal force is a contact force between two objects. If there's no contact, there's no normal force. (Very different from gravity.)

Will there be any contact force if there is no gravity?

Abdul Quadeer said:

Yes, there still can be coulumb forces

Abdul Quadeer said:
In general, sure. In this particular example of an object sitting on the ground, no. (Ignoring minor effects such as adhesion, etc.)

The point is that normal force is not directly dependent on gravity.

Doc Al said:
In general, sure. In this particular example of an object sitting on the ground, no. (Ignoring minor effects such as adhesion, etc.)

The point is that normal force is not directly dependent on gravity.

I am a bit confused.
The contact force between two bodies is of electromagnetic nature. Is that repulsive or attractive and why? Does it depend on the extent to which we press the ground?

Abdul Quadeer said:
I am a bit confused.
The contact force between two bodies is of electromagnetic nature. Is that repulsive or attractive and why? Does it depend on the extent to which we press the ground?
Yes, it's repulsive.

For a true explanation you will have to delve into condensed matter physics. So instead, here is a cartoonish (but ultimately wrong) explanation: The electrons form a cloud around the nuclei. At a distance, the electrons and protons balance out; the net electric field essentially vanishes. At very close range, the electrons look close than the nuclei. It looks like the surface is negative charge. However, this appearance drops off very quickly to the null-charge view from afar. When two solid objects are in very close proximity, the electrons at the surface of each object repulse the other object. Note that because the objects are each electrically neutral as a whole, this repulsion drops off with increasing distance / builds up with decreasing distance much, much quicker than 1/r2.

In other words, the normal force only occurs when the two objects are "touching".

Yes, it's repulsive.....In other words, the normal force only occurs when the two objects are "touching".

If that's the case, then the coulumbic forces are of huge magnitude compared to gravitational force. The ratio of electric to gravitational force between two electrons is of the order of 10^42. Why don't we fly off from the Earth's surface?

Abdul Quadeer said:
If that's the case, then the coulumbic forces are of huge magnitude compared to gravitational force. The ratio of electric to gravitational force between two electrons is of the order of 10^42. Why don't we fly off from the Earth's surface?
While the coulombic force between two electrons is much greater than their gravitational force, that's largely irrelevant when considering the normal force. (Reread D H's last post.) The normal force will be just enough to keep you from pushing through the floor.

Doc Al said:
that's largely irrelevant when considering the normal force. (Reread D H's last post.)

I don't understand why it is irrelevant here.
Are you referring to this "However, this appearance drops off very quickly to the null-charge view from afar." ?

That means if we jump a feet above the ground, there should be a greater gravitational force acting (neglecting the variation of 'g') because there is no repulsive force due to electrons at that distance.

If you jump a millimeter off the ground there is no repulsive force due to the electrons. The force essentially disappears when the distance is greater than microscopic scale.

D H said:
If you jump a millimeter off the ground there is no repulsive force due to the electrons. The force essentially disappears when the distance is greater than microscopic scale.

Yes I agree with that. But that repulsive force is so huge that it can provide you with an escape velocity against the gravity even if it is short ranged. Why do we stick to the Earth inspite of that?

The contact forces are not due to charges but "instantaneous partial charges"

Surface charge density of Earth is ~3 x 10-9 C-m-2. and you will be taking like .01m2
Lets consider that you also contain same charge on four feet as the charge on Earth in area of contact.

F = (K x 3 x 10-11 x 3 x 10-11)/(.00012 C) = ~ .008N

Is that force enough to give you escape velocity??

Abdul Quadeer said:
Yes I agree with that. But that repulsive force is so huge that it can provide you with an escape velocity against the gravity even if it is short ranged. Why do we stick to the Earth inspite of that?
Nobody said anything about escape velocity.

When you press on a spring scale the spring compresses a bit, just enough to counteract the force resulting from your pressing on the spring. Think of the normal force as resulting from an exceedingly stiff spring.

D H said:

I wanted to assert that the coulumbic forces are very huge in comparision to the gravitational force.

D H said:
When you press on a spring scale the spring compresses a bit, just enough to counteract the force resulting from your pressing on the spring. Think of the normal force as resulting from an exceedingly stiff spring.

Thats just a way to exemplify the effect of normal force. I am interested in answering these questions - If the origin of the normal force (a component of the contact force) is of electromagnetic nature which is very huge compared to the gravitational force, why don't we fly off from the surface of earth?

Last edited:
Abdul Quadeer said:
I wanted to assert that the coulumbic forces are very huge in comparision to the gravitational force.
Not between uncharged objects. Unless you crush them together.

D H said:

Yes he did ! :-p

Abdul Quadeer said:
Thats just a way to exemplify the effect of normal force. I am interested in answering these questions - If the origin of the normal force (a component of the contact force) is of electromagnetic nature which is very huge compared to the gravitational force, why don't we fly off from the surface of earth? Why is the normal force self adjusting?

Think of a large charged sheet of charge density e-6 C
if you drop a small charge (say an electron) ... it will not just fly away but will stop at some place where its weight is balanced by electrostatic force, right? ... (forget about SHM)
(you can easily find that in this case)

Consider normal forces in same manner.
The force i explained above (escape velocity one) is .08N which is very small even to balance our weight.
the rest force comes from where DH told (wrong, but still good explanations for now)

when you stand, you press the ground ... the electrons of your feet's and ground's surface come closer upto a point where weight is balanced ( e-e, p-p repulsions)
now you may say that this distance must be very large as electrostatic force is very large than gravity, ... the reason is in e-p attractions.
due to the attraction of e-p pair, the distance of equilibrium is reduced to is what we know.

as electrons will be closer than protons ... therefore repulsion dominates.

Lets end this discussion thinking normal force as a force which acts when a body presses against a surface. The more I think about its origin, the more it spins my head. Its beyond my scope of understanding and I am not going to research on it ( I have more important things to do :biggrin: )

welcome to pf!

hi quark001! welcome to pf! :smile:
quark001 said:

I wouldn't even say "the earth", i'd always say "gravitational" or "weight" …

eg "the forces on the book are the normal force and the weight"

or "the forces on the book are the normal force and the gravitational force" :wink:
Abdul Quadeer said:
Lets end this discussion thinking normal force as a force which acts when a body presses against a surface. The more I think about its origin, the more it spins my head. Its beyond my scope of understanding and I am not going to research on it ( I have more important things to do :biggrin: )

I agree! :biggrin:

We simplify by talking about heat, rather than energy of molecules, about pressure, rather than collisions of molecules, and so on …

reaction forces are a perfectly legitimate simplification! o:)

Related to Understanding Normal Force: A Simplified Explanation

1. What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert a force back on the first object that is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

2. How does Newton's Third Law relate to normal force?

Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. According to Newton's Third Law, the normal force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force exerted by the object on the surface. This means that the object will experience a normal force pushing back on it with the same amount of force that it exerts on the surface.

3. Can the normal force be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, the normal force can be greater than the weight of an object. This can happen when an object is accelerating or moving on an incline. In these cases, the normal force will need to be larger to counteract the other forces acting on the object.

4. How does the normal force affect an object's motion?

The normal force does not directly affect an object's motion. It is simply a reaction force to an object's weight or other forces acting on it. However, the normal force can play a role in determining the net force on an object, which will ultimately affect its motion according to Newton's Second Law.

5. Is normal force always present?

No, normal force is not always present. This force only exists when an object is in contact with a surface. For example, if an object is in free fall, there is no normal force acting on it because it is not in contact with any surface. However, once it hits the ground, the normal force will come into play.