Understanding Nitrate Concentrations: Are These Rural Wells Safe for Drinking?

In summary, the well with the lowest nitrate concentration (0.01 mg NO3- N/L) does not exceed the limit for nitrate concentration in drinking water of 44.3 mg NO3-/L.
sdoug041
The question:

Nitrate concentrations exceeding 44.3 mg NO3-/L are a concern in drinking water due to the infant disease, methemoglobinemia.

Nitrate concentrations near three rural wells were reported as 0.01 mg NO3- N/L, 1.3 mg NO3- N/L, and 20.0mg NO3- N/L. Do any of these three wells exceed the 44.3 ppm level?

The problem:

I have no problem with conversions, it's just the units in this case. I've asked peers about the NO3- N/L unit and they said the N stands for nitrogen. If this is so, I don't know what the implications are. Whats the difference between the NO3-/L and NO3- N/L unit?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
sdoug041 said:
0.01 mg NO3- N/L

Doesn't make sense to me.

I can easily imagine NO3- reported as 0.01 mg N/L, but the way you have it written it is - to say the least - strange.

sdoug041 said:
I have no problem with conversions, it's just the units in this case. I've asked peers about the NO3- N/L unit and they said the N stands for nitrogen. If this is so, I don't know what the implications are. Whats the difference between the NO3-/L and NO3- N/L unit?

Hmm, I've https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2162757&postcount=2"..

But to elaborate a bit more; you have the whole nitrogen cycle, so nitrogen in water (with living stuff in it) is being converted between nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, etc.
Therefore they distinguish between "N/L" nitrogen per liter (the mass of N from all compounds) "NO3- N/L", nitrate nitrogen per liter (just the nitrate nitrogen) and nitrate/L (the mass of nitrate, including oxygen).

Last edited by a moderator:
But for every mole of NO3-, there is 1 mole of N... So is there no conversions to be made here? I can just simply look at the values and if they are less than 44.3, they don't exceed the limit?

sdoug041 said:
So is there no conversions to be made here?

ppm is usually weight/weight, so you need some conversion.

But a mg/L is a ppm, at least concerning aqueous solutions.

there is 10^6 mg of water in a litre.

I think I'm still missing something though. It can't be as easy as just looking at the given values...

Last edited:
sdoug041 said:
But for every mole of NO3-, there is 1 mole of N... So is there no conversions to be made here?

Your units are in mg/L, not mol/L. One mole of N doesn't weigh the same as 1 mole of NO3-

Ah that is a good point, it's starting to become a little clearer.

So:

(0.01 mg NO3- N/L) x (1 mol N / 14000 mg N) x (1 mol NO3- / 1 mol N) x (62000 mg NO3- / 1 mol NO3-)

= 0.04 mg NO3-/L

Am I understanding this concept correctly?

Related to Understanding Nitrate Concentrations: Are These Rural Wells Safe for Drinking?

1. What is water chemistry?

Water chemistry is the study of the chemical composition and properties of water. It involves analyzing the various substances present in water and how they interact with each other.

2. Why is water chemistry important?

Water chemistry is important because it affects the quality and safety of our drinking water. It also plays a crucial role in the health of aquatic ecosystems and the functioning of industrial processes.

3. What factors influence water chemistry?

Several factors can influence water chemistry, including the source of the water, the surrounding environment, and human activities such as pollution and water treatment processes.

4. How does pH affect water chemistry?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution, and it can greatly impact water chemistry. Different substances may dissolve or react differently in water based on its pH level, and aquatic organisms have specific pH requirements for survival.

5. How is water chemistry measured?

Water chemistry is measured through various methods, such as conducting laboratory tests, using field kits and meters, and analyzing data collected from water samples. These measurements can provide valuable information about the quality and composition of water.