Understanding Neutrino Oscillation: Explaining Flavor & Mass States

In summary, the article explains that neutrinos can oscillate between different flavor states, and that this is due to the lack of understanding of flavor by scientists.
Unredeemed
I don't really understand why neutrino oscillation occurs so I looked it up on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino_oscillation

I went to the "Theory, graphically" section and it gives quite a good explanation.

However, there are a few details I don't get.

It says: "This flavor state is a combination of mass states" - How can that be?

and "However, each mass state is also made up of flavor states" - How can that be?

In short, it may be due to my lack of understand about flavour (I always assumed it was simply the name given to particles which are the same except in mass), but I don't understand how a mass state can be made up of a flavour state or vice versa.

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's basically a matter of choosing a basis for your Hilbert space of states. The mass states have a well-defined mass (hence the name :smile:). The flavour states are particular linear combinations of these, in the usual QM sense. If we have three mass states and three flavour states, we can write this in matrix form like
[tex]\begin{pmatrix} \nu_e \\ \nu_\mu \\ \nu_\tau \end{pmatrix} = U \begin{pmatrix} \nu_1 \\ \nu_2 \\ \nu_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]
where the numeric indices denote the mass states. From certain symmetry considerations it follows that the 3x3 matrix U must be unitary. This picture is useful when doing oscillation calculations, because our experiments are not sensitive to, say, a neutrino with mass m1, but rather they detect a neutrino which is in the electron flavour state. Of course, we can also invert this relation. If we write [itex]\nu_\mathrm{flavour} = U \nu_\mathrm{mass}[/itex] and we know that [itex]U^\dagger U = 1[/itex] we can also write [itex]\nu_\mathrm{mass} = U^\dagger \nu_\mathrm{flavour}[/itex], expressing the mass eigenstates in terms of the flavour eigenstates. This is useful in theoretical calculations, for example when the actual expression is in terms of the mass eigenstates (which occur naturally in calculations). However, since our experiments detect flavour eigenstates, it is useful to rewrite such an expression in terms of those.

In a sense, the Hilbert space is "three-dimensional" and you can choose any three basis vectors you like, as you are used to in QM. Because in theoretical calculations we would like to have simple mass terms (e.g. terms like [itex]m_1 \nu_1 + m_2 \nu_2 + \cdots[/itex] rather than some complicated matrix expression where the mass terms mix the neutrinos) the mass-basis is useful. I don't think it requires explanation that it is also useful to choose a basis, such that in experiments we measure precisely these basis states directly (i.e. eigenvalues of these basis vectors).

I hope it makes more sense now.

Likes TEFLing
Thanks, understood.

Related to Understanding Neutrino Oscillation: Explaining Flavor & Mass States

1. What is a neutrino oscillation?

A neutrino oscillation is the phenomenon where neutrinos change from one type to another as they travel through space. This is due to the fact that neutrinos have mass and therefore can exist in different "flavors" or types.

2. What are flavor states and mass states in neutrino oscillation?

Flavor states refer to the three types of neutrinos: electron, muon, and tau. Mass states refer to the three different masses that neutrinos have. In neutrino oscillation, a neutrino can change from one flavor state to another, but its mass state remains the same.

3. How does the Standard Model of particle physics explain neutrino oscillation?

The Standard Model does not fully explain neutrino oscillation, as it assumes that neutrinos have no mass. However, it does predict that neutrinos can change flavors through the weak interaction, which is one of the mechanisms involved in oscillation.

4. What are the implications of understanding neutrino oscillation?

Understanding neutrino oscillation can help us better understand the properties of neutrinos, which are some of the most abundant particles in the universe. It also has implications for astrophysics, as neutrinos are involved in many astrophysical processes. Additionally, it could potentially lead to new discoveries in particle physics and help us understand the fundamental laws of the universe.

5. How do scientists study neutrino oscillation?

Scientists study neutrino oscillation by using large detectors, such as the Super-Kamiokande experiment, to observe neutrinos. They also use particle accelerators to create neutrinos and study their behavior. Additionally, underground experiments are conducted to reduce interference from other particles and better observe neutrino oscillation.