Understanding Negative Velocity and Displacement on a Velocity-Time Graph

In summary, the area under a velocity-time graph represents the displacement, and the integral assigns a negative sign to areas below the x-axis. However, this concept of negative displacement can be understood without relying on integration. It is simply a result of negative velocity below the time axis.
grzz
Homework Statement
Is area under a velocity-time graph a distance or displacement?
Relevant Equations
Velocity = rate of change of displacement with time.
I think the area required is a displacement.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends if you mean area or signed area (integral)

Thanks

grzz said:
Homework Statement:: Is area under a velocity-time graph a distance or displacement?
Relevant Equations:: Velocity = rate of change of displacement with time.

I think the area required is a displacement.
The area under a curve is always, by definition, a positive number. If a curve crosses the ##x## axis, then the total area between the curve and ##x## axis is the sum of all the separate areas.

The integral, however, assigns a negative sign to areas below the ##x## axis. The integral may be positive or negative or zero.

In terms of physics, the integral of a velocity time graph gives the displacement. Whereas, the total area under a velocity time graph gives the total distance.

Hence such a question makes sense only to students who are familiar with integration. Am I correct to say this?

grzz said:
Hence such a question makes sense only to students who are familiar with integration. Am I correct to say this?
Not necessarily. You can take an area below the ##x## axis to be negative, without relying on integration.

A student who knows about integration will not ask why the area can be negative while one who does not know about integration will ask why the area below the x axis is negative. What answer can I give him then?

grzz said:
A student who knows about integration will not ask why the area can be negative while one who does not know about integration will ask why the area below the x axis is negative. What answer can I give him then?
If we are talking about a velocity-time graph, then velocity is negative below the time axis. And displacement is negative. That is nothing to do with integration.