Understanding Nambu-Goto String Action

• Thread starter wam_mi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, the Nambu-Goto action is a functional of the world-sheet coordinates, and it has three terms when varied with an arbitrary space-time coordinate. The momentum density along the string is zero at the endpoints due to fixed positions, while the transverse momentum density is non-zero and related to energy conservation.
wam_mi
Hi there,

I recently read about the construction of the Nambu-Goto action by looking at the proper area of the world-sheet. However, when one varies the action with an arbitrary space-time coordinate (here I treat it in Minkowski space-time X^(\mu)), there appears three terms and some of them would go to zero.

What I don't understand is why is that

(i) The momentum density running along the string P^(\mu)_(\sigma) at the open string endpoints \sigma (0, \pi) is zero?

(ii) Why is it that the momentum density transverse to the string, i.e. P^(\mu)_(\tau) \neq 0?

Has this got something to do with the conservation law, that energy is conserved?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your post and for sharing your thoughts on the Nambu-Goto action and its implications. I can provide some insight into the questions you have raised.

Firstly, when we vary the Nambu-Goto action with an arbitrary space-time coordinate, we end up with three terms because the action is a functional of the world-sheet coordinates X^(\mu). These terms correspond to the variation of the world-sheet metric, the variation of the world-sheet coordinates, and the variation of the Lagrange multiplier. The Lagrange multiplier term ensures that the world-sheet is parametrized by a proper time, which is an essential requirement for the action to be invariant under reparametrization.

Now, to address your questions about the momentum density along and transverse to the string. The momentum density running along the string, P^(\mu)_(\sigma), is zero at the open string endpoints because the endpoints have fixed positions in space-time. This means that the variation of the action with respect to X^(\mu) at the endpoints is zero, resulting in a zero momentum density.

On the other hand, the momentum density transverse to the string, P^(\mu)_(\tau), is non-zero because the string is free to move in this direction. This momentum density is related to the transverse vibrations of the string, and it is not conserved. It can change as the string moves and interacts with its surroundings.

Lastly, your intuition about energy conservation is correct. The conservation of energy is related to the invariance of the action under time translation. This means that the action remains unchanged when we shift the world-sheet coordinate corresponding to time. This is a fundamental principle in physics, and it is also reflected in the Nambu-Goto action.

I hope this helps clarify your questions about the Nambu-Goto action and its implications. Keep exploring and asking questions – that's what science is all about!

1. What is the Nambu-Goto String Action?

The Nambu-Goto String Action is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of strings in theoretical physics. It was developed by Yoichiro Nambu and Tetsuo Goto in the 1970s.

2. How does the Nambu-Goto String Action work?

The Nambu-Goto String Action is based on the principle of minimizing the action, which is a mathematical quantity that describes the dynamics of a system. In this case, the action describes the motion of strings in spacetime.

3. What are the main equations of the Nambu-Goto String Action?

The main equations of the Nambu-Goto String Action are the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are used to determine the equations of motion for the string, and the Virasoro constraints, which are used to eliminate unphysical degrees of freedom.

4. What are the implications of the Nambu-Goto String Action?

The Nambu-Goto String Action has been used to study various phenomena in theoretical physics, such as the behavior of strings in higher dimensions and the formation of cosmic strings. It has also been used to develop theories of quantum gravity and to study the behavior of black holes.

5. What are some limitations of the Nambu-Goto String Action?

The Nambu-Goto String Action is a simplified model that does not take into account certain effects, such as string interactions and quantum effects. It also assumes that strings are infinitely thin, which may not be physically realistic in all cases. As such, it is often used as a starting point for more complex theories of string dynamics.