Understanding Nabla Operator with Vector A

In summary, the conversation mainly discusses the operator "nabla" and its various forms and applications in mathematics and physics. One person asks if it is possible to obtain "nabla A - A nabla" and "(A nabla) A - A (nabla A)", to which another person explains the concept of a commutator of operators and its relation to QM. The conversation ends with a clarification that the person asking the question is not a "dummie" in mathematics and physics, but rather the "dummie" in this particular scenario.
Raparicio

Dear Friends,

Another question for dummies...

The operator "nabla" can be locates before or after a vector or a tensor. If you take the vector A, "nabla A" is not the same that "A nabla" but, is it possible to obtain "nabla A - A nabla"? ¿And "(A nabla) A - A (nabla A)"?

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope u're not insinuating that we (me included) would be "dummies"... :mad:

[tex] \nabla=\sum_{i=1}^{3} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}} \vec{e}_{i} [/tex](1)
in the cartezian system of coordinates
[tex] \vec{A}\cdot \nabla=\sum_{i=1}^{3} A_{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}} [/tex] (2)

[tex] \nabla\cdot\vec{A}=\sum_{i=1}^{3} \frac{\partial A_{i}}{\partial x_{i}} [/tex] (3)

That's all u need to know.
[tex] [\nabla,\vec{A}]_{-}=:\nabla\cdot\vec{A}-\vec{A}\cdot \nabla [/tex]
is kinda weird operator which is made from a multiplicative part and a differential part.
I've never seen it in physics in this form.A bit different form can be found in QM with the operators of position and momentum in the coordinate representations.It's basicaly minus the fundamental commutator relations.

Daniel.

Last edited:
NOoooooooo

No... the "dummie" in mathematics and physics am I.

On a second thought about that commutator of operators,in analogy with the QM case,consider it to be applying on a scarar function [itex] \phi(\vec{r}) [/tex]

[tex][\nabla,\vec{A}(\vec{r})]_{-}\phi(\vec{r})=:\nabla\cdot [\vec{A}(\vec{r})\phi(\vec{r})]-\vec{A}\cdot \nabla\phi(\vec{r})=[\nabla\cdot \vec{A}(\vec{r})] \phi(\vec{r}) [/tex]

Daniel.

Related to Understanding Nabla Operator with Vector A

1. What is the Nabla operator?

The Nabla operator, denoted by ∇, is a differential operator used in vector calculus to represent the gradient, divergence, and curl of a vector field. It is typically used to describe the rate of change of a quantity in multiple dimensions.

2. What is the significance of the Nabla operator in physics?

The Nabla operator is used in physics to describe various physical quantities such as force, electric field, and fluid flow. It is an essential tool in understanding the behavior and properties of vector fields in three-dimensional space.

3. How is the Nabla operator applied to a vector A?

The Nabla operator is applied to a vector A in two ways: dot and cross product. The dot product of ∇ and A represents the rate of change of A in the direction of ∇, while the cross product represents the curl of A, which measures the tendency of the vector field to rotate around a point.

4. What is the relationship between the Nabla operator and the Del operator?

The Del operator (∇) is the same as the Nabla operator, but it is used in a more general sense to represent any differential operator in vector calculus. The Del operator includes the Nabla operator as a special case when it is applied to a scalar function.

5. Why is understanding the Nabla operator important in mathematics and engineering?

The Nabla operator is important in mathematics and engineering because it provides a powerful tool for analyzing vector fields and solving complex mathematical problems. It is commonly used in the study of fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and other fields of physics to describe the behavior of physical systems in three-dimensional space.