Understanding Moving Charges and Magnetic Fields: True or False Statements

• Thread starter LMTMAC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, the conversation discusses a moving charged particle and the magnetic field it produces. The question posed is which statements are true regarding the relationship between the particle's velocity, mass, and the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field. The potential correct answers are d) and/or e), and the discussion suggests further research and consideration of the provided link for insight.
LMTMAC
Hey all,

New poster here that will be back to ask and answer seeing as how well versed you all are. My current dilemma deals with a moving charge and the magnetic field it produces. (sorry if this is in the wrong area of the site)

Basically it's this:
Consider a charged particle moving with a constant velocity. Which of the following statements are true? (Give ALL correct answers: b, ac, bcd, ..., or none)

a) There is no electric field generated by the moving charge.
b) The magnitude of the magnetic field generated by the charge has nothing to do with the mass of the particle.
c) The magnitude of the magnetic field generated by the charge is inversely proportional to the speed of the particle.
d) The direction of the magnetic field generated by the charge is parallel to the velocity.
e) The magnitude of the magnetic field generated by the charge is proportional to 1/r where r is the distance from the charge.

I've narrowed it down to what I think are the right answers, d and/or e. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as my study partner and I have hit a brick wall.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I can confirm that statement d) and e) are both true. The direction of the magnetic field generated by a moving charge is parallel to its velocity, and the magnitude of the field is proportional to 1/r, where r is the distance from the charge. This is known as the inverse square law. The mass of the particle does not affect the magnitude of the magnetic field, as stated in b). The speed of the particle does have an inverse relationship with the magnitude of the magnetic field, as stated in c). So, the correct answer would be d) and e). I hope this helps with your understanding of moving charges and magnetic fields. Keep studying and asking questions!

Related to Understanding Moving Charges and Magnetic Fields: True or False Statements

1. How do magnets work?

Magnets work due to the alignment of magnetic domains within the material. These domains are groups of atoms that have their magnetic fields pointing in the same direction, creating a larger overall magnetic field.

2. What are the two poles of a magnet?

The two poles of a magnet are the North pole and the South pole. Like poles repel each other, while opposite poles attract each other.

3. Can magnets be turned on and off?

Most magnets cannot be turned on and off, but there are some exceptions such as electromagnets. These are created by running an electric current through a wire and can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity.

4. How can magnets be used in everyday life?

Magnets have many uses in everyday life, such as in compasses, speakers, and motors. They are also used in credit cards, refrigerators, and MRI machines.

5. Do magnets lose their strength over time?

Yes, magnets can lose their strength over time, especially if they are exposed to high temperatures or strong magnetic fields. However, the rate of decay is very slow and most magnets will retain their strength for a long time.