Understanding Motion and Collision in the Absence of Gravity

In summary, In the absence of gravity, the total kinetic energy and vertical momentum are conserved. The ball and the duct must have equal and opposite final y-momenta, meaning the ball moves downwards and the duct moves upwards. The term ##\dot{y}## includes the velocity of the slide, which is why the final y-momentum of the ball is downwards. The process is a collision.
Nexus99
Homework Statement
A smooth duct is mounted on a slide with mass M and negligible dimensions, which allows the passage of a ball of mass m, launched towards the slide with initial speed
v0 parallel to the horizontal from the same elevation at a distance d. There
slide is free to move without friction on a vertical track and is let go to
moment of launch.
1. In the absence of gravity, calculate the final sled and ball speeds
2. In the presence of gravity, under which conditions does the ball enter the tube?
3. In the presence of gravity, for which value of v does the slide stop immediately after the impact?
Relevant Equations
Conservation of momentum, conservation of kinetic energy
Cattura.PNG

These are the solution, I'm not understanding something:

In the absence of gravity, the total kinetic energy and vertical momentum are conserved).
So we have

## \frac{1}{2} m v_0 = \frac{1}{2} M \dot{Y}^2 + \frac{1}{2} m \dot{y}^2 ##
## 0 = m \dot{y} + M \dot{y} ##

Ok. But, if the ball goes inside the conduct, shouldn't be ## v_y = \dot{y} + \dot{Y}## ?
After some algebra you get:

## \dot{Y} = \pm \sqrt{ \frac{m^2}{M(M+m)}} v_0 ##
## \dot{y} = \mp \sqrt{ \frac{M}{(M+m)}} v_0 ##
And the professor writes:
The solution with ##\dot{Y}## < 0, ##\dot{y}## > 0 is clearly not acceptable
Why? Shouldn't the ball and the slide move in the same direction ? (up or down)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nexus99 said:
And the professor writes:
The solution with ##\dot{Y}## < 0, ##\dot{y}## ̇ > 0 is clearly not acceptable
Why? Shouldn't the ball and the slide move in the same direction ? (up or down)

The assumption is that there are no external forces in the ##y## direction, so momentum in the ##y## direction is conserved. And is initially ##0##, of course.

The final y-momenta of the ball and duct must, therefore, be equal and opposite.

The ball is physically constrained to move down the duct, so the final y-momentum of the ball must be downwards - hence the duct must move upwards.

PeroK said:
The assumption is that there are no external forces in the ##y## direction, so momentum in the ##y## direction is conserved. And is initially ##0##, of course.

The final y-momenta of the ball and duct must, therefore, be equal and opposite.

The ball is physically constrained to move down the duct, so the final y-momentum of the ball must be downwards - hence the duct must move upwards.
Thanks you're right.
Maybe i understood also my previous doubt:
the term ## \dot{y} ## contains yet the velocity of the slide, in fact: ## \dot{y} = v_y + V_y ##. Am i right?
Is there a collision inside the duct?

Last edited:
Nexus99 said:
Thanks you're right.
Maybe i understood also my previous doubt:
the term ## \dot{y} ## contains yet the velocity of the slide, in fact: ## \dot{y} = v_y + V_y ##. Am i right?
Is there a collision inside the duct?
I assume that ##Y## is the y-coordinate of the duct, so ##\dot Y## is the y-velocity of the duct.

The whole process is a collision!

Likes Nexus99

Related to Understanding Motion and Collision in the Absence of Gravity

What is motion without gravity?

Motion without gravity refers to the movement of objects in a space or environment where there is no gravitational force acting upon them. This can occur in outer space or in a simulated environment, such as an airplane in free-fall.

How does motion without gravity affect objects?

In the absence of gravity, objects will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force. This is known as Newton's first law of motion.

Can humans experience motion without gravity?

Yes, humans can experience motion without gravity through activities such as skydiving or parabolic flight, where the effects of gravity are temporarily negated. Astronauts also experience motion without gravity in space.

What is the difference between motion without gravity and zero gravity?

Motion without gravity refers to the absence of a gravitational force, while zero gravity refers to a state of weightlessness where the effects of gravity are not felt. In zero gravity, objects and individuals will appear to float and have no apparent weight.

How is motion without gravity simulated on Earth?

Motion without gravity can be simulated on Earth through the use of parabolic flights, where an airplane follows a specific trajectory to create brief periods of weightlessness. It can also be simulated in specialized training facilities, such as neutral buoyancy pools used by astronauts.