Understanding Moments of Inertia for Solving Homework Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of moment of inertia and how it applies to various objects. The formula for finding the moment of inertia for a point mass is I = mr^2. The conversation also covers the use of this formula for solving different problems, such as finding the moment of inertia of a rod rotating about one end. The conversation also touches on the different formulas for finding the moment of inertia for different objects, and the importance of understanding how these formulas are derived.
brinstar

Homework Statement

Attached in a picture!

Homework Equations

I = mr^2
m = (x*y)
cm = (x/2, y/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve Part 1 fairly fast, but Part II has drawn a blank for me overall. I was thinking of that rotational thing from Calculus where you spin a 2D figure around the axis to make a 3D shape, but I'm really just not sure. To be honest, I'm having a very difficult time even understanding the concept of moment of inertia >.< So even if I somehow guessed how to do part II right, I really don't know what I'm doing in that section.

I) mass 1 = (20 cm)(10 cm) = 200 cm^2
mass 2 = (10 cm)(20 cm) = 200 cm^2
center of mass 1 = (20 cm i, 5 cm j)
center of mass 2 = (5 cm i, 10 cm j)

Center of Mass = (summation of (mass)(coordinates) / summation of masses) = [density of object*(200*(20 i + 5 j))+(200*(5 i + 10 j)] / density of object*(200 + 200)
= (4000 i + 1000 j + 1000 i + 2000 j) / 400
= 12.5 cm i + 7.5 cm jII) total mass of object = 4 kg
I = summation of mass*r^2
= (1 kg*100 cm^2)+(3 kg*300 cm^2)
=(100 kgcm^2)+(900 kgcm^2) = 1,000 kgcm^2

Thank you for any help and have a nice day! :-)

Attachments

• Physics Problem 3.png
    Physics Problem 3.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
brinstar said:
I = mr^2
This is the moment of inertia of a point mass, not an extended object.

Hint: Can you find the moment of inertia of a rod rotating about one end?

Read this: Moment of Inertia

Doc Al said:
This is the moment of inertia of a point mass, not an extended object.

Hint: Can you find the moment of inertia of a rod rotating about one end?

Read this: Moment of Inertia

Oh okay, so I should be using 1/3*mr^2?

brinstar said:
Oh okay, so I should be using 1/3*mr^2?
Sure, if you use it correctly. Do you understand that the MOI of a plate about one edge is the same as that of a rod about one end?

Doc Al said:
Sure, if you use it correctly. Do you understand that the MOI of a plate about one edge is the same as that of a rod about one end?

I didn't know that, but I would suppose so since the area-of-force on the object is going to be farther from the center of mass for both a plate and a rod. It'd be higher than if the point of force was closer to the center of mass.

Moving mass parallel to the axis of rotation will not affect the moment of inertia about that axis. So you can squeeze the mass of the plate into a rod and get the same MOI.

Doc Al said:
Moving mass parallel to the axis of rotation will not affect the moment of inertia about that axis. So you can squeeze the mass of the plate into a rod and get the same MOI.

Oh okay. I think I confused center of mass and axis of rotation there.

So for this problem, would I be splitting the equation into two rods spinning about the y axis, and then add it all up, since the top square would be parallel to the bottom rectangle?

brinstar said:
So for this problem, would I be splitting the equation into two rods spinning about the y axis, and then add it all up, since the top square would be parallel to the bottom rectangle?
Yes. That's just what I would do.

Doc Al said:
Yes. That's just what I would do.

ah so would this be right?

II) total mass of object = 4 kg
I = summation of (1/3) mass*r^2
= (1/3)(1 kg*100 cm^2) + (1/3) (3 kg*900 cm^2)
=(100/3 kgcm^2)+(900 kgcm^2) = 933.333333 kgcm^2 = 933 kgcm^2

brinstar said:
ah so would this be right?

II) total mass of object = 4 kg
I = summation of (1/3) mass*r^2
= (1/3)(1 kg*100 cm^2) + (1/3) (3 kg*900 cm^2)
=(100/3 kgcm^2)+(900 kgcm^2) = 933.333333 kgcm^2 = 933 kgcm^2
Looks good. But I would first convert the distances to standard units (meters instead of cm).

Doc Al said:
Looks good. But I would first convert the distances to standard units (meters instead of cm).

ah okay, 0.093 kgm^2

and rotational inertia is different for different objects, right? Should I just memorize those formulas?

thank you so much!

brinstar said:
ah okay, 0.093 kgm^2

and rotational inertia is different for different objects, right? Should I just memorize those formulas?

thank you so much!
There are formulas for the MOI for different objects. These formulas can be derived using calculus. Most people keep a table of these formulas handy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

Likes brinstar
brinstar said:
and rotational inertia is different for different objects, right?
Sure.

brinstar said:
Should I just memorize those formulas?
It's a good idea to have a few basic ones memorized... just in case. If you have a bit of calculus under your belt, be sure to understand how they are derived.

Likes brinstar

Related to Understanding Moments of Inertia for Solving Homework Problems

What is a moment of inertia?

A moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is calculated by taking into account the mass distribution and the distance from the axis of rotation.

Why is it important to understand moments of inertia?

Moments of inertia are important in understanding the behavior of rotating objects. They can help determine how an object will accelerate or decelerate when subjected to torque, and can also impact the stability and efficiency of machines and structures.

How do you calculate moments of inertia?

The moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = ∫r²dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and dm is a small mass element. The integration is typically performed over the entire mass of the object.

What factors affect the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is affected by the mass and distribution of mass in an object, as well as the axis of rotation. Objects with more mass and a greater distance from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia.

What are some real-world applications of moments of inertia?

Moments of inertia are used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and sports. They are crucial in designing cars, airplanes, and other machines, as well as in understanding the movement of celestial bodies. In sports, moments of inertia are important in determining the performance of equipment, such as golf clubs and tennis rackets.